What did you have for supper tonight?

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
In summary, Monique is having rice with chicken, Denizens are having rice with meat, and Recon is having fish balls.
Right Thursday.

I had:
1 9-inch deep pan pizza - Cheese, Pepperoni and Peppers (Red and Green)
1 bowl of chips
Tomato Sauce
Cheese and Onion Crisps
Quavers (English Crisps - Cheese Flavour)
Müller Crunch Corner - Toffee and Chocolate Hoops
One Granny Smith Apple

That was it for today's supper. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. It is only Supper, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ice cream has been consumed, and it was good. Edy's has an ice cream with the cookie dough swirled in it instead of just floating around in chunks.

The Bob is edging past Check in the Humongous Amounts of Food category. He evidently enjoys crispy foods immensely.

aeroegnr evidently DID eat "cookie dough ice cream."

Monique illustrates that the Dutch, while adorable in appearance, are a ruthless people with a tendency to smirk at others after consuming meals consisting mainly of tulip bulbs, which they call "pineapple" so as to confuse non-Dutch persons. If you doubt there is a Dutch consipiracy, note the famous code-words of this song: Put your tulips a little closer to the phone...yes, they're all on the alert and just waiting to take over the entire globe.

*I* am fasting. I am enjoying these meals vicariously.

I object! The fast food thing was a rarity. I was in a different city and I had to eat! I could never afford to eat Quiznos every day, it was like $6! Actually, it was strangely exactly $6.00...

Gimme a few hours to eat dinner and I'll tell ya' the sort of thing I normally eat. In the meantime, lunch time (homemade sandwich, accompanied by my standard caffeine fix)!

cookiemonster

Edit: I'd love some pineapple if anybody'd like to donate some... Or maybe some strawberries, or peaches, or cantelope, or fruit of just about any kind! I love fruit. Wish it didn't cost so much...

Last edited:
I feel like I'm part of a National Geographic documentary... :eek:.. slowly she moved forth to devour an aggregate of nutrients cleverly defrosted in a device that burns gas and thereby releases heat. Similarly water was boiled, with which an extract was made from leaves collected in faraway lands. Never has this footage before been recorded, the illusive feeding habits of a sapiens subclass thought to have been assimilated by computers.

Since you have an abstemious diet, I had some extra midnight cheese pizza and *real* chinese green tea for your vicarious enjoyment :biggrin:

Note to self.. lucidity of pineapple misreckoned..

Day 2

As promised, no more hot dogs!

Tonight, 6 pieces of sashimi (salmon and yellowtail...each piece on rice...I think that's sashimi, though sometimes I've had that without rice, so I'm not sure if it gets a different name when stuck on rice...perhaps it becomes sushi...but no icky seaweed stuff in it). Oh, and of course soy sauce and wasabi aplenty!

And a large handful of bing cherries for dessert (yummy...they are in season now and perfectly delicious!).

Didn't require any alcohol to wash down tonight's dinner :approve:

I suspect Monique lives alone and saw a nice pineapple at the market and is now including it in everything she makes until she manages to use it up :-)

DAY 1
Last night I ate aloo parathas (unraised bread, stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes, and fried in oil) with channa masala ( chick peas cooked in a gravy of tomatoes and minced onions, spiced with red pepper powder, turmeric, cilantro, cumin, mustard, cloves and several other Indian spices). Then I had rice mixed with seasoned, ground lentils with a tiny dollop of tomato pickle and some deep-fried okra. Dessert was a Milky Way bar.

Poor Cookiemonster is pretending he doesn't usually eat student fare. Ha! Anyone near Caltech? Once he gets there, someone please give the child some fruits to eat. It's fun to feed starving students; they have no idea if your cooking is bad...

Moonbear attempts to redeem herself by mentioning exotic salmon/rice dishes...[add disdainful sniffs here] and is she eating PAPER? Wasabi...paper, correct? Paper of some sort?

Monique has added TORTURE to her list of evil Dutch traits! Speaking of all sorts of tasty foods to a fasting person.

Gokul43201 -- the 43201 evidently stands for the number of calories consumed per FRIED FOOD meal -- along with Recon, is eating the most INTERESTING food, and has done an EXCELLENT job in describing the spices. Props to Gokul. But where did the Milky Way bar come from?

holly said:
Moonbear attempts to redeem herself by mentioning exotic salmon/rice dishes...[add disdainful sniffs here] and is she eating PAPER? Wasabi...paper, correct? Paper of some sort?

Paper? :confused: No, wasabi is that green horseradish-like stuff that will make you see stars if you eat too much of it all at once :surprise: (cleans out the sinuses quite well)...very yummy on sushi, or even mixed into mashed potatoes.

This is to be taken as a challenge, right? That is, to improve one's eating now that I'm under scrutiny? Well, depending on whether our lab goes out for happy hour or not tomorrow night, I may or may not have a better dinner (could be the free Friday happy hour bar food, or could be something properly home-cooked, or might just go out to dinner...one never knows for a Friday...I am all out of junk food, so won't be resorting to dinners of potato chips and cookies or anything like that...yes, it's been known to happen). You'll just have to wait to find out. The sad thing is, I really do know how to cook, I just have been lazy about it lately. Need to do some proper grocery shopping to restock the basic ingredients I don't have currently.

holly said:
The Bob is winning, by the way, in the Sheer Amount category. Appalling amounts!

Njorl is suspiciously silent about the alleged nice supper he was going to have.

Monique has gone hungry again; that's how she keeps her girlish figure: Fasting.

I had my rotelle alfredo and green beans last night.

I just finished my tortellini with romano and parmesean cheese and sweet italian sausage tonight. I also had a golden delicious apple. I forgot to make any vegetables.

Njorl

WOW. I can't believe what Njorl cooks up. Maybe he should cook Saturday's Festive Virtual Supper.

No, no, Moonbear, do not change your usual path as regards eating! No! I cannot receive the correct karmic messages if you are going to purposefully change your eating habits! That's why I'm fasting: So that MY food does not interfere with the messages from YOUSE GUYS food. See? And please stop eating paper.

Never fear...I can't change my eating habits until I have time to go grocery shopping, and that won't happen before Saturday, so I'm still limited by whatever is already in my house. I don't even think I have pasta sauce around here :-(

Njorl, are you Italian? You seem to concoct very Italian sounding dishes...yummy!

Janitor did well to choose Arby's...at least, I suspect it was Arby's, especially since the fries were stale...- Holly

Bingo. Are they known for stale fries? I know someone who doesn't care for McDonalds all that much, but he swears their french fries are better than all the other fast-food fries. Something about a shorter duty cycle with their lard.

It seems that you're on the more standard student fare, holly!

Anyway, starting to cook dinner now... Pasta and beef sausage (the cheapest that can be bought, naturally). But I splurged at the grocery store today and bought some oranges, so I'm going to throw one of those in, too. And, to go with it, as usual, my nightly fix of caffeine. Half the cost of the meal is the orange. =\

And, for reference, my brother's having the same thing I am. Minus the sausage. Because I'm cooking it and he's too lazy to do anything.

cookiemonster

Edit: Minor correction. The caffeine accompanied cooking, and water accompanied dinner.

Last edited:
Looks like I pulled a two-part supper again tonight! Went to a friends, had four slices of pepperoni pizza and a glass of lemonade. When I got home I made myself a sandwich: lettuce, tomato, mozzarella cheese and roast beef, with mayonnaise, barbeque sauce and honey mustard on toasted white bread. It would have been on European rye bread but we seem to be out of it today! Washed that down with a glass of watermelon punch again.

I don’t think my supper tomorrow will be as good. Goin’ boozin’ so I’ll probably end up eating half a bag of Doritos… but I’ll keep you posted! :smile:

Last edited:
Tonight: Hard Salami, smoked ham, and pastrami on pita bread with relish and lots of yellow peppers. Chips and Salsa on the side. As always with 2% milk; always. I get serious about my milk. :biggrin:

Tonight I went light. Two whole artichokes with lemon/garlic butter for dipping.

Moonbear said:
This is to be taken as a challenge, right? That is, to improve one's eating now that I'm under scrutiny? Well, depending on whether our lab goes out for happy hour or not tomorrow night, I may or may not have a better dinner
Well, here a staple friday night dinner is bread with bread on top, bread on the side and bread in the middle. Unless I decide to fry some Indian spiced pineapple, I think you're going to do better than me :rolleyes:

Well, I just got back from my high school baseball game (which we lost :frown: 3-2 in extra innings) and started my routine checkup and post on PF, when I stumbled across this thread. Pretty cool.

Well, the bus stopped at Subway. I had a foot long sub. Mediterranean chicken with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, black olives, oil, parmesan cheese, and ranch dressing on parmesan oregano bread. Original Doritos was my choice of chip, and a Mountain Dew to top off the meal. Wasn't bad.

Paden Roder

I’ll probably end up eating half a bag of Doritos.- check

I have a co-worker in his 20s whose traditional lunch is a bag of Doritos and a Slurpee.

Janitor said:
I have a co-worker in his 20s whose traditional lunch is a bag of Doritos and a Slurpee.

Sounds like a great snack! I think I'd die if I only had that for lunch though...

check said:
Sounds like a great snack! I think I'd die if I only had that for lunch though...

I know what you mean.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Holly, I'm not too concerned. At least I have not died from the fish balls yet. :)

Friday (9th July)

Dinner today was a simple meal of just rice, chicken in black bean sauce (a Cantonese Dish) and Kangkong (swamp cabbage) again.

Last night I had rice with a lentil broth (cooked with sauteed onions, green peppers and peas; spiced with red peppers, turmeric and watchamacallit), with Lays Classic potato chips on the side.

Dessert : torta doppia cioccolato (three layers of chocolate cake between whipped chocolate filling topped with a chocolate butter cream icing, served on sambuca sauce.)

:drool: I like Gokul43201's cooking, but what is watchamacallit?!

Ah, I love it when my suspicions about these science types are confirmed; yes indeedy.

Janitor, his mind on higher things, is totally oblivious to the fact that Arby's is known for its execrable fries, especially the nasty "curly fries." World Famous for Bad Fries.

Check, again, eats two suppers, storing up nutrients against a wild Friday binge. Hmmm. Where is he obtaining watermelon punch in Canada? It must be frozen punch.

Ivan Seeking shall henceforth be called "I SURE LIKE MEAT." The little skunks are probably having to push him aside to get to the tasty meat morsels in the cat food bowl.

Evo has eaten the most elegant entree yet: Two artichokes, with sauce. She must be made of money; have you priced artichokes lately? Even a small Wal-Mart artichoke is expensive, and to gorge on TWO? WELL!

Monique offers her complicated recipe for a Genuine Dutch Bread Sandwich [contents: Bread]. Did the "pineapple" finally run out?

PRodQuanta had me rolling on the floor, as he evidently thinks nothing of eating an entire foot-long sub by himself. Check and The Bob have competition.

Recon had an interesting meal, but the Swamp Cabbage entry has me somewhat concerned. Is this what we term "Skunk Cabbage?" An inedible, nay, POISONOUS, swamp-growing, foul-smelling weed?! Is this what they are eating where he lives? Is it?!

Cookiemonster's entry makes me sad, very sad...these poor students. Eating some cheap sausage - and all sausage is a Bad Thing - and "splurging" on an orange. It's just SAD. I suggest a site be built where one can donate money to the poor child via PayPal and the mail. "FEED THE CALTECH STARVING" would be the catchline.

Gokul43etcetc, with a wonderful post, RUINED it by the listing of "what are youmacallit" as a spice. One point from Gokul, sorry. And he was doing so well, too.

holly said:
Gokul43etcetc, with a wonderful post, RUINED it by the listing of "what are youmacallit" as a spice. One point from Gokul, sorry. And he was doing so well, too.

If you really want to know, "watchamacallit" is a pre-mixed powder consisting of coriander, cumin, fenugreek, red pepper, refined groundnut oil, cinnamon and dehydrated curry leaves.

Too late for redemption ?

The point Gokul43201 previously lost for "whatchmacallit" has been restored, but his slacker nature as to the listing of spices has been noted. Unfair? Yes, but when someone shows such ability and potential in correctly listing the supper ingredients, we MUST hold them to a higher standard!

Gokul43201 said:
If you really want to know, "watchamacallit" is a pre-mixed powder consisting of coriander, cumin, fenugreek, red pepper, refined groundnut oil, cinnamon and dehydrated curry leaves.
Ah.. just say garam masala then :)

Monique, the expert on all things Indian ! Actually, it's called Sambar Powder.

Garam masala is a mixture of black pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom (with seeds), cloves, nutmeg, mace, caraway, cinnamon and ginger...and it very different !

Depending on whether you've got North or South Indian garam masala the mixture can be very different :) But ofcourse.. lentil sambar.. I should've known better :wink:

holly said:
Where is he obtaining watermelon punch in Canada? It must be frozen punch.

You mean there are OTHER kinds?! :eek: :confused: :eek:

:-p

WHOOT! The staple friday bread dinner turned into luxery :biggrin: white buns with fried codfish in ravigotte saus, and cactus tea on the side.