What direction will a compass point at point X?

In summary, the magnetic field produced by the magnet will "follow" or "carried by" the soft iron ring so the magnetic field will circle around the magnet. However, the compass will still point to the north pole.
songoku

Homework Statement

The plotting compass, initially on the left and pointing to the geographical north, is now placed at point X. Which direction it will show?
201706141303541000.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the arrow will point towards the south pole of the bar magnet (to the left). Is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the soft iron ring?

CWatters said:
What are your thoughts on the soft iron ring?
I am not sure. Maybe the magnetic field produced by the magnet will "follow" or "carried by" the soft iron ring so the magnetic field will circle around the magnet but in the end the direction will still be from north pole to south pole. The compass is affected by magnetic field so it will point to the south pole.

So I guess I am wrong?

CWatters said:
Perhaps see "containing the field"...
http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magshield.htm
Oh, so the field will be "contained" by the soft irong ring, leaving a very few or maybe no field at all outside it and the compass will point to the north (same as its initial direction).

But why can soft iron ring contain the field?

Iron is a good conductor of magnetic fields, in effect the iron ring "shorts out" the field.

Consider a magnet in free space. Lines of flux run from one pole to the other via the space around the magnet. If you put a piece of iron near the magnet the flux finds it easier to flow in the iron so it takes a "short cut" along the iron rather than the original path.

I suppose it's similar to why there is no electric field in a conductor.

Likes scottdave and songoku
CWatters said:
Iron is a good conductor of magnetic fields, in effect the iron ring "shorts out" the field.

Consider a magnet in free space. Lines of flux run from one pole to the other via the space around the magnet. If you put a piece of iron near the magnet the flux finds it easier to flow in the iron so it takes a "short cut" along the iron rather than the original path.

I suppose it's similar to why there is no electric field in a conductor.

Thank you very much

What is a compass and how does it work?

A compass is a navigational tool that uses Earth's magnetic field to determine direction. It consists of a magnetized needle that aligns itself with the Earth's magnetic field, allowing users to determine north, south, east, and west.

How do you use a compass?

To use a compass, hold it flat in your hand and make sure the needle is freely suspended. Rotate yourself until the needle aligns with the north-south axis, and then the direction you are facing is the direction shown by the compass.

Why does a compass point to the north?

A compass needle points north because Earth has a magnetic field that runs from the geographic North Pole to the geographic South Pole. The needle aligns itself with this field, pointing towards the magnetic North Pole, which is close to the geographic North Pole.

Can a compass be used anywhere in the world?

Yes, a compass can be used anywhere in the world as long as it is not affected by strong magnetic fields or metal objects. However, it should be noted that the magnetic declination (difference between magnetic north and true north) varies depending on location.

What are the four cardinal directions shown by a compass?

The four cardinal directions shown by a compass are north, south, east, and west. North is at the top of the compass, south is at the bottom, east is on the right, and west is on the left.