What do graduate schools look like?

In summary,I think that graduate school is similar to high school in that there are a small number of people who are taught by a professor. However, graduate school is more like 1-on-1 tutoring than a class because most of the learning is done independently.
l-1j-cho
Is it just like a class where small number of people are gathered and taught by a professor like high school?

Or is it simliar to 1 to 1 private tutoring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Graduate classes tend to be small (in physics anyway - engineering classes can be large); my masters level classes had 5-15 people in them. When you start working on your thesis or dissertation, much of that will be one-on-one with a professor. But it's not like tutoring, more like discussion with reading and research assignments.

The classes tend to be fairly small - most of mine have had 4-18 people. One notable exception had 30, but that was very unusual (the professor remarked on it a couple of times in the first week, actually). It isn't one to one though, and it isn't really like tutoring.

And also there is a lot of independent study. When you do your dissertation, you are largely on your own, and you meet with your advisor every so often. Also, you end up attending lots of seminars and attending the occasional conference.

thanks for the replies. My biggest concern is, I suck at self teaching. Once I tried to self teach the concept of calculas (of course in high school level and also I did not try to invent by myself like Newton or Leibniz but read some textbooks) and failed multiple times. Now I entered high school and took calculas, and everything was so easy (in comparison to what I had attempted) although my teacher wasn;t that good (I don;t think he is bad at all but my classmates say he sucks)

l-1j-cho said:
thanks for the replies. My biggest concern is, I suck at self teaching. Once I tried to self teach the concept of calculas (of course in high school level and also I did not try to invent by myself like Newton or Leibniz but read some textbooks) and failed multiple times. Now I entered high school and took calculas, and everything was so easy (in comparison to what I had attempted) although my teacher wasn;t that good (I don;t think he is bad at all but my classmates say he sucks)

You don't suck at self-teaching, you probably tried it with the wrong strategy. One thing I like to say: "Study smarter, not harder."

How did you self-teach yourself? You should always acquire the habit of studying math with a pencil and paper in hand.

There is a lot of independent learning in graduate school. But if you're still in high school, I wouldn't worry about it. It's like worrying about grade 12 classes while you're in grade 8. A lot changes over the time in between.

One of the skills that students pick up at the undergraduate level is learning how to learn. It's not really taught, so much as a skill that you acquire through trial and error. It's important to assess and re-assess your approach to studying as you advance and make modifications based on the successes you've had. Some students even find that attending lectures is not the best way for them to learn. Some find that a lot of reading helps. Some focus purely on problem-solving and pursue problem-based learning.

The important thing is to keep trying to learn.

Nano-Passion said:
You don't suck at self-teaching, you probably tried it with the wrong strategy. One thing I like to say: "Study smarter, not harder."

How did you self-teach yourself? You should always acquire the habit of studying math with a pencil and paper in hand.

To be honest, I never used any strategy when I self-taught myself. Also, I cannot focus on studying more than 5 minutes when I am alone. But I have no problem with staying in class room for like 1 hour

l-1j-cho said:
To be honest, I never used any strategy when I self-taught myself. Also, I cannot focus on studying more than 5 minutes when I am alone. But I have no problem with staying in class room for like 1 hour

That attitude won't take you very far in graduate school. You can't simply just go along with only following lectures. What major are you?

actually I am a mere high school student...

l-1j-cho said:
actually I am a mere high school student...

Well high school student or not, it sounded like you were saying that you have no inclination of doing practice problems at home or following up on material. Which brings me to the point that the attitude won't take you to graduate school.

But I don't know anything about you or your choice of interest.

One of the skills that students pick up at the undergraduate level is learning how to learn. It's not really taught, so much as a skill that you acquire through trial and error. It's important to assess and re-assess your approach to studying as you advance and make modifications based on the successes you've had. Some students even find that attending lectures is not the best way for them to learn. Some find that a lot of reading helps. Some focus purely on problem-solving and pursue problem-based learning.

The important thing is to keep trying to learn.
This answers your question. You're not expected to be motivated enough to self-study in high school. After all, most HS students are too ambitious, grabbing a textbook, skimming through the foundational chapters (usually 1-2) and jumping straight towards the difficult, flowery concepts. Then they get bothered by how much they don't know and soon become disinterested, throwing away the book.

Nano-Passion said:
Well high school student or not, it sounded like you were saying that you have no inclination of doing practice problems at home or following up on material. Which brings me to the point that the attitude won't take you to graduate school.

But I don't know anything about you or your choice of interest.

hmm, I meant I have troubles with self-teaching theorems and concepts. I do practice problems (if they are applications of what I have been thought in previous lectures) and I don't know what follow of materials are. Sorry for not being clear

Anonymous217 said:
After all, most HS students are too ambitious, grabbing a textbook, skimming through the foundational chapters (usually 1-2) and jumping straight towards the difficult, flowery concepts. Then they get bothered by how much they don't know and soon become disinterested, throwing away the book.

Worked for me as long as I had another book as reference for the things I didn't know.

cjl said:
The classes tend to be fairly small - most of mine have had 4-18 people. One notable exception had 30, but that was very unusual (the professor remarked on it a couple of times in the first week, actually). It isn't one to one though, and it isn't really like tutoring.

That's my experience, too. Though I'm officially starting grad school this fall, I've already taken some grad courses. The more esoteric courses, and the courses that aren't required for the degree--our program requires 5 "core" courses; the other courses are optional--can be quite small. I took a fluid dynamics course, for example, that had five students in it. I also took a stat mech course that had more than 30 students in it. It was a required "core" class a class, and it also seemed to draw grad students from other departments (e.g., chemistry and engineering).

Choppy said:
There is a lot of independent learning in graduate school.

This.

I'll use my stat mech class as an example. There was no assigned text for the class. Not even a recommended book. However, the prof did have a list of his favorite books on the subject, and he would happily let you know what they were if you went out of the way to ask him.

When it came time to do the homework assignments, I found myself surrounded by several different texts, one a library book and the others I bought online. One text might explain one topic better than the others; another text would take a different approach. In order to get full understanding of the material--not a superficial "gist," but a deep understanding--you would have to read several books. All of this took place outside scheduled class times, of course. Self-study is required in order to fully grasp the more complex concepts, and especially those topics that never got mentioned at all during the class (but still might show up on comprehensive/qualifying exams).

Nano-Passion said:

Agreed.

Just shallowly reading a textbook isn't enough to learn the concepts. When you come across a new concept, read the material until you feel like you have a solid understanding of the theoretical concept, then attempt the example problems first without looking at the textbook solutions. If you make zero headway with the problem, at least make an "educated guess" as to the final answer, either its form (e.g., what variables it should have it in) or its order of magnitude. Then compare your solution to the correct one in the book. If you didn't get the correct solution, then take a moment to identify exactly where you went wrong and why. Then close the book and work the example again. Once you've understood the concept--in words as well as how it's applied to the example problems--then move on to the next section in the chapter.

Related to What do graduate schools look like?

1. What are the requirements for graduate school admission?

The specific requirements for graduate school admission may vary depending on the program and institution, but generally, applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require specific prerequisites or relevant work experience.

2. What is the typical length of a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the field of study and the type of degree being pursued. Master's programs typically take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral programs can take anywhere from 3-7 years. Professional degree programs, such as law or medicine, may take longer.

3. How do graduate schools differ from undergraduate programs?

Graduate schools are typically more specialized and focused compared to undergraduate programs. They also involve more independent research and higher-level coursework. Graduate students often have more opportunities for hands-on experience and may work closely with faculty on research projects.

4. How do I choose the right graduate school for me?

Choosing the right graduate school can be a daunting task, but it's important to consider factors such as program reputation, faculty expertise and research opportunities, location, cost, and career outcomes. It's also helpful to visit the campus and talk to current students and faculty to get a feel for the program and its culture.

5. Can I work while attending graduate school?

Many graduate students do work while pursuing their degree, but it can be challenging to balance work and school. Some programs may offer teaching or research assistantships, which can help cover tuition and provide a stipend. It's important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before committing to a job while in graduate school.