What do I use to determine rotational speed of solar nebula?

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the rotational speed of a solar nebula at r=40,000 AU. They have some information, such as the velocity at 40 AU, but are unsure of which formula to use. They are considering using the equation L=m*v*r, but are unsure if the mass of the sun should be used as the mass for the solar nebula. They also mention the possibility of using p^2=A^3. Ultimately, they are confused about the matter and thank anyone for their help.
shejinx
Hi there.

I need some help with this I have confused myself ... I am trying to determin the rotational spped of our solar nebula as it would have been at r=40 000 AU. I have the facts that at 40 AU v=5km/second. what I am not sure on is do I use L=m*v*r? if so do I use the mass of the sun as the mass for the solar nebula? or is there another way using p^2=A^3?
Like I said I am very confused on this matter.

Thanks for all and any help

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you're using conservation of angular momentum then you will need to assume the sun has the same angular momentum as the original nebula did. You can also assume the mass of the nebula is the same as that of the sun. Depends what you want to do really. The sun has of course lost a lot of angular momentum through stellar winds.

1. What is a solar nebula?

A solar nebula is a large, rotating cloud of gas and dust that forms around a newly formed star, such as our sun. It is the birthplace of planets and other objects in our solar system.

2. How can we determine the rotational speed of a solar nebula?

The rotational speed of a solar nebula can be determined by measuring the angular momentum of the cloud and its size. This can be done using various techniques such as observing the movement of gas and dust particles, measuring the Doppler shift of light emitted by the nebula, or studying the rotation of planets and other objects formed from the nebula.

3. What factors affect the rotational speed of a solar nebula?

The rotational speed of a solar nebula can be affected by various factors such as the mass and density of the cloud, the initial rotational velocity of the gas and dust, and the presence of external forces such as gravity from nearby stars.

4. Why is it important to determine the rotational speed of a solar nebula?

Studying the rotational speed of a solar nebula can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. It can also help us understand the conditions that lead to the birth of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to using rotational speed as a measure of a solar nebula's evolution?

While rotational speed can provide important information about the evolution of a solar nebula, it is not the only factor that determines the formation of planets and other objects. Other factors such as temperature, composition, and external forces also play a significant role in the evolution of a solar nebula.