What do most Electrical Engineers end up doing? Is this degree right for me?

pozykepler
My interests are quite interdisciplinary: Brain Computer Interface, Neural Networks, Physics and Neuroscience. I would like to work on BCI research in the future. Is this the right path for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I(We) know nothing about you or your background so how can we tell you what if anything is right for you?

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds
pozykepler said:

What do most Electrical Engineers end up doing?​

There is no such things as "what most EEs end up doing".

Likes DaveE
What do most Electrical Engineers end up doing?

Maybe lots of different things, the field is way too diverse to easily characterize.

The one constant is that you are working for someone that wants to make money based on your creations. You'll very likely end up doing what the people paying you want to get done. Hopefully, that's in alignment with what you like to do. Engineering is a practice where you design things that are "good enough", not perfect. I personally have never finished a design that I didn't know how to improve given more time and money.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and CalcNerd
phinds said:
what most EEs end up doing
Most end up doing well.

Likes CalcNerd, nsaspook, berkeman and 1 other person
DaveE said:
Engineering is a practice where you design things that are "good enough", not perfect. I personally have never finished a design that I didn't know how to improve given more time and money.
So true. This brings two things to my mind:

An engineer can do with one dollar what any idiot can do with ten.

On the half-glass of water.
Optimist "it's half full."
Pessimist "it's half empty."
Engineer "the glass is too big."

On what EEs do: it varies from 345 kV transformers, to chip design, to radio antennas, to middle management, to ...

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes symbolipoint, CalcNerd, gleem and 2 others
Welcome to PF. :smile:

pozykepler said:
My interests are quite interdisciplinary: Brain Computer Interface, Neural Networks, Physics and Neuroscience. I would like to work on BCI research in the future. Is this the right path for me?
As you can tell from the responses, the more that you can tell us about yourself and your background in school so far, the more we can offer suggestions and advice.

I'll assume for now that you are in high school, and looking ahead to possible careers in your areas of interest. That is great.

Since your interests involve both EE and Biology, I'd encourage you to take as many related classes as possible right now. Be sure to take Physics and Biology classes in high school, and take as much math as you can.

It would be good to start getting some more experience with circuits, so I'd encourage you to build some electronics kits and spend time understanding why they work. This will give you a head-start on your EE education, since building real circuits early helps you to "ask the right questions" in your university learning. It also helps you build some projects that are useful to you in your daily life, which helps with motivation to keep learning more. I built a digital clock and lab bench power supply from scratch early in my undergrad, and a friend built a small 8-bit computer and an FM radio receiver from scratch (he was an overachiever). :smile:

Nowadays, you can also look into Arduino and similar projects based on microcontrollers (uCs), since embedded circuit programming will be something that you will be learning about and probably using in your future work projects.

Enjoy the ride. :smile:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...gIGEAAYFhgewgIEECEYCogGAQ&sclient=products-cc

https://www.google.com/search?clien...xKsJegQICRAB&ictx=0&biw=1098&bih=508&dpr=1.09

Last edited:
Likes gmax137
gmax137 said:
On the half-glass of water.
Optimist "it's half full."
Pessimist "it's half empty."
Engineer "the glass is too big."
My version, the Engineer: "Hell, lets go build a damn and get more water"

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, nsaspook and gmax137

1. What type of work do most Electrical Engineers do?

Electrical engineers are typically involved in designing, developing, testing, and supervising the production of electrical equipment, such as motors, navigation systems, and power generation equipment. They may also work on projects related to telecommunications, computer hardware, and control systems.

2. What industries do Electrical Engineers typically work in?

Electrical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, telecommunications, healthcare, transportation, and aerospace. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies.

3. Is a degree in Electrical Engineering right for me?

A degree in Electrical Engineering is a good fit for individuals who have a strong interest in math, science, and technology. It is also important to have good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, individuals who are interested in working with electronics, computers, and other electrical systems may find this degree to be a good fit.

4. What skills are important for Electrical Engineers to have?

In addition to technical skills related to electrical systems, engineers also need to have strong analytical and critical thinking skills. They should be able to work well in a team, have good communication skills, and be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is important for many electrical engineering roles.

5. What are the job prospects for Electrical Engineers?

The job outlook for Electrical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is due to the increasing demand for technology and the need for more efficient and sustainable energy sources. Additionally, as technology continues to advance, there will be a need for engineers to develop and improve upon existing systems.