What do Sine, Cosine and Tangent do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation and logic behind using a calculator to find the third side or angle in a triangle. It is mentioned that there is likely an algorithm in the calculator to approximate the values, and the use of the CORDIC algorithm is suggested.
Liam C
When I press these buttons on my calculator to find the third side or an angle in a triangle, what calculation is happening? What is the logic behind it all?
I know it's a very basic question, but I am only in grade 10 and have not started Math yet this year.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Liam C said:
When I press these buttons on my calculator to find the third side or an angle in a triangle, what calculation is happening? What is the logic behind it all?
I know it's a very basic question, but I am only in grade 10 and have not started Math yet this year.
Inside the calculator there is probably an algorithm going on, that numerically approximates the questioned values.
One could e.g. use the formulas described on this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine#Series_definition
It contains a section about algorithms and further links, too.

fresh_42 said:
Inside the calculator there is probably an algorithm going on, that numerically approximates the questioned values.
One could e.g. use the formulas described on this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine#Series_definition
It contains a section about algorithms and further links, too.
Thanks, should have thought to check the wiki page myself! :DD

fresh_42 said:
See CORDIC, an algorithm that is in widespread use in calculators.

Related to What do Sine, Cosine and Tangent do?

What is the definition of sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are trigonometric functions that are used to relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

What is the relationship between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are related through the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This relationship allows us to use the values of sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for unknown angles or lengths in a right triangle.

How are sine, cosine, and tangent used in real life?

Sine, cosine, and tangent have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate the height of buildings, determine the trajectory of a projectile, and even to measure the distance from Earth to other planets.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to sine, cosine, and tangent?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of the coordinate plane. Sine and cosine can be used to find the coordinates of points on the unit circle, while tangent can be used to find the slope of a line tangent to the circle at a given point. The unit circle is also used to define the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for angles greater than 90 degrees.

What are the inverse functions of sine, cosine, and tangent?

The inverse functions of sine, cosine, and tangent are arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, respectively. These functions allow us to find the measure of an angle given the ratio of its sides, rather than the other way around. They are often used in trigonometric equations and in solving right triangles.