What do the blue and pink color of the rust indicator shown mean?

In summary, the blue and pink colors the rust indicator shown mean that the tip, head region of the nail appears blue color; the straight region appears pink color. The blue area shows that the rusting has already taken place, while the pink area means it is going to form rust.
Green18
Hello, everyone.
What do the blue and pink color the rust indicator shown mean?

Let say, the mixture of potassium hexacyanoferrate(III) and phenolphthalein is the rust indicator. And we use to detect the rusting of an iron nail. And the result is: the tip, head region of the nail appear blue color; the straight region appears pink color.
Is that the blue region shows Fe2+ ions formed? And, the pink shows hydrogen ions present?

But, even it shows these ions are present, what does it mean? The blue area is rusting? And the pink area no rusting?

Confused :( please help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Green18 said:
Is that the blue region shows Fe2+ ions formed?

Yes.

And, the pink shows hydrogen ions present?

No, quite the opposite - it shows where the amount of H+ is small.

But, even it shows these ions are present, what does it mean?

Where do they come from?

Thanks for replying.
Sorry, my bad. That is a typo.
I should write 'hydroxide ions' ,
the pink area shows the presence of HYDROXIDE ions .
But, i don't get it, even hydroxide ions is produced, what does it mean? Does it mean the pink area part is rusting?

Last edited:
No, it contains possible rusting product.

Borek said:
No, it contains possible rusting product.

Thanks again.
So simply speaking, the blue area means the rusting has already taken place/ the rust is formed . And the pink area means it is going to form rust (coz hydroxide ions are produced before rust is formed.)
Am i right? :)

I think both ions are produced at the same time, they just show where different half reactions occur (they don't have to go in teh same place, as long as there is conductor present).

Borek said:
I think both ions are produced at the same time, they just show where different half reactions occur (they don't have to go in teh same place, as long as there is conductor present).
Thank you

1. What causes the rust indicator to turn blue and pink?

The rust indicator turns blue and pink due to a chemical reaction between iron and oxygen in the presence of water. This reaction produces a compound called iron oxide, also known as rust, which has a blue and pink color.

2. Does the color of the rust indicator indicate the severity of rusting?

No, the color of the rust indicator does not indicate the severity of rusting. The color is simply a visual indicator of the presence of rust, which can vary in severity depending on factors such as the type of metal and the environment it is exposed to.

3. Can the rust indicator accurately predict the onset of rusting?

No, the rust indicator cannot accurately predict the onset of rusting. It can only indicate the presence of rust, but it does not provide information about when or how quickly the rusting process will occur.

4. Are there other factors that can affect the color of the rust indicator?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the color of the rust indicator. For example, the pH level of the water or the presence of other chemicals can alter the color of the rust indicator. Additionally, the type of metal and the amount of oxygen in the environment can also impact the color.

5. How can the rust indicator be used in scientific research?

The rust indicator can be used in scientific research to study the effects of rusting on different materials and environments. It can also be used to test the effectiveness of rust prevention methods and to analyze the chemical reactions involved in the rusting process.