What do the different colors of plasma in spark gaps mean?

In summary: Dave said that white light is a mixture of multiple colors. He suggests trying to break down the light from discharge using either a diffraction grating or prism to see if the color observed has a continuous or discrete spectrum.
js2020
TL;DR Summary
I am interested in understanding what the different colors of plasma mean
Hi,

I am looking at videos of spark gaps and see that there are different colors of plasma. I really should've been a physicist because this may be fundamental, but I'm wondering what the different colors mean? I have seen purple and white. My guess is that white is a higher energy discharge compared to the purple. I would really like to discuss this with someone because unfortunately I don't know anyone else interested in this.

I will continue to do my own research but I would love some wisdom from those who know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google for "color of electrical sparks", that will give you a good starting point.

I guess you mean a spark through air?

It really is more about physics or chemistry than electronics. Most visible light is generated when the electrons in an atom are in an "excited state" which means they have absorbed and temporarily stored extra energy. These electrons will then give off some of that energy as light when they relax to a less excited configuration. It is the electric current (and voltage) that provides this energy to the atoms.

The really cool part about this is that the colors (frequency) of the light is constrained to very specific values for the different elements and the different electron energy levels. So the plasma light that you see from Neon looks red/orange while the light from Argon looks blue/green. These are the typical colors you see in "neon signs", which is also a plasma discharge. These colors are a powerful tool for identifying atoms and molecules whether they are in a test tube or the atmosphere of another planet. This measurement technique is called "spectroscopy" if you want to learn more about it.

The problem with an air discharge is that there is a mixture of gases (Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon mostly) all of these will give different colors and their electrons can be excited to different energy levels, which will also change their color. So, I think the white that you are seeing is likely a mixture of several different colored photons. Sorry, it's not really an answer to your question, it's kind of a mess with an arc through air.

This subject can become quite complex if you really delve into the details. This wasn't really understood until physicists developed quantum mechanics in the early 1900's.

Hi DaveE,

Yes I think you're right, I should probably move this out of the electronics forum and over to physics as it may be a better fit there.

To explain a little more though, I have my electronics that I am applying a high voltage to. When I start to see corona, it is a bluish purple color. I know this is the ionization of the air as your described. When I increase the voltage past a certain threshold, I see flash over between two parts. The flash over is a lot more intense and is white instead of bluish purple. My assumption was that the higher voltage creates a lot higher energy when the flash over happens which leads to the higher intensity and white light...or combination of multiple colors.

What I am really hoping to understand is things like what the color means as far as the type of plasma if that's a thing. For instance, I know that I can detect photon emission using a silicon photo multiplier (SiPM) diode. It's only effective over a certain range of wavelengths so determining what wavelengths are generated from what would be helpful in determining if that method of detection. Is adequate. Additionally, I can capture the corona and flash over using a camera. But again, I should know what the camera can capture to determine if its capturing everything of interest if if I'm missing things I need to see.

Try to break down the light from discharge using either a diffraction grating (even old CD can work) or a prism. With some luck it will tell you whether the color you observe has a continuous or a discrete spectra (most likely a bit of both). These discrete signals can be assigned to specific electron transitions of gases present in the air.

There are specialized spectroscopes that can be used but they are expensive, so some DIY approach can be better (at least for some qualitative observations).

Likes DaveE
Borek said:
Try to break down the light from discharge using either a diffraction grating (even old CD can work) or a prism. With some luck it will tell you whether the color you observe has a continuous or a discrete spectra (most likely a bit of both). These discrete signals can be assigned to specific electron transitions of gases present in the air.

There are specialized spectroscopes that can be used but they are expensive, so some DIY approach can be better (at least for some qualitative observations).
Thanks for the suggestion on the prism. I'll try that approach.

@js2020:
I worked in the semiconductor industry for many years and have seen different gas plasmas in vacuum chambers. You didn't mention the voltage differential you are working with but it does sound substantial. A tesla coil? As DaveE mentioned earlier the gas mixture has a lot to do with what you see. If you could build a vacuum chamber you could introduce nitrogen or argon at lower pressures and have better visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JimmyinTexas,

JimmyinTEXAS said:
js2020:
You didn't mention the voltage differential you are working with but it does sound substantial. A tesla coil?

The differential voltage is around 25-35 kV. This is actually for a medium voltage SiC based power converter so there are many components in the assembly (power supplies, controller, gate driver, sensors, etc). I have corona on several components that I'm trying to eliminate. I was hoping to learn a little more about the discharges based on the color if possible, although it's not necessary for just eliminating it.

Unfortunately I don't have vacuum chamber that would support the size and voltage of my converter or it's individual components.

Ntip said:
Hi JimmyinTexas,
The differential voltage is around 25-35 kV. This is actually for a medium voltage SiC based power converter so there are many components in the assembly (power supplies, controller, gate driver, sensors, etc). I have corona on several components that I'm trying to eliminate. I was hoping to learn a little more about the discharges based on the color if possible, although it's not necessary for just eliminating it.

Unfortunately I don't have vacuum chamber that would support the size and voltage of my converter or it's individual components.
Good luck, keep us posted.

1. What causes the different colors in plasma in spark gaps?

The different colors in plasma in spark gaps are caused by the different elements present in the gas. Each element emits a unique color when it is excited by the electrical current in the spark gap.

2. Why do some spark gaps produce a blue color while others produce a purple or pink color?

The color of the plasma in a spark gap depends on the specific element present in the gas. For example, nitrogen produces a blue color, while helium produces a purple or pink color. The color can also be affected by the temperature and pressure of the gas.

3. How can the color of the plasma in a spark gap be used in scientific research?

The color of the plasma in a spark gap can be used to identify the elements present in the gas, which is useful in various scientific research fields such as spectroscopy and plasma physics. It can also provide information about the temperature and pressure of the gas.

4. Can the color of the plasma in a spark gap be changed?

Yes, the color of the plasma in a spark gap can be changed by altering the elements present in the gas, as well as the temperature and pressure. Different combinations of elements can also produce different colors in the plasma.

5. Is there any significance to the color of the plasma in a spark gap?

Yes, the color of the plasma in a spark gap can provide important information about the gas and its properties. It can also be used in practical applications such as in neon signs and plasma TVs. Additionally, studying the color of the plasma can help scientists better understand the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.