What do the values represent in this equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment involving rolling objects down an incline and analyzing the results using position vs. time graphs. The equations obtained were in the form of x = At^2 + Bt + c, and the question was raised about the meaning of A and how it relates to linear acceleration. It was determined that A is half of the linear acceleration and can be found by multiplying it by 2. The velocity can also be found from the slope of the x-t graph, represented by the parameter B.
jfnn

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I did an experiment in my house where I took four different geometric circles to represent a solid sphere, a spherical shell, a solid cylinder, and a hoop. I rolled all the objects down an incline of about 8 degrees, took video footage, uploaded into the tracker software for analysis. I creates position vs. time graphs for each object (x-t) and all the graphs were parabolic (object was accelerating down the incline).

After this I got four equations, all of the form

x = At^2 + Bt + c.

I am asked to determine what A is. In my assumption, I think A would be the linear acceleration of the object? Is my logic right, or am I wrong?

After I figure out what this value is, I am asked to say what the linear acceleration is, wouldn't it be the value of A?

After this, I need to check the validity of the four equations describing the linear motion of the objects used. All of the form of a = (some fraction depending on object used)gsin(theta).. However, if I use the value of A to check the valid of these equations, they are all not valid. So that makes me think that I interpreted the meaning of A wrong...

Any help would be suggested. Thank you.

Homework Equations

[/B]
x = At^2 + Bt + c.
a = (some fraction depending on object used)gsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Mentioned above. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jfnn said:
In my assumption, I think A would be the linear acceleration of the object? Is my logic right, or am I wrong?
How is acceleration defined? How does it relate to A?

Did you try just dropping something to check that you get the correct gravitational acceleration?

Likes jfnn
Orodruin said:

Did you try just dropping something to check that you get the correct gravitational acceleration?

Acceleration is the change in the velocity over time. From the graph, which is a horizontal position vs time graph, the velocity would be the slope created form multiple tangent curves to that graph. Then the slope of that would be the acceleration. The acceleration is constant. Thus, I reasoned that the linear acceleration (correct me if I am wrong, the same as the horizontal acceleration) is equivalent to the value A that was generated from the computer software for my experiment?

Orodruin said:

Furthermore, I did previous experiments in my house involving the gravitational constant and it was always off by like +/- 1 depending on the experiment (I got this from the vertical position vs. time graph for previous experiments).

jfnn said:
Furthermore, I did previous experiments in my house involving the gravitational constant and it was always off by like +/- 1 depending on the experiment (I got this from the vertical position vs. time graph for previous experiments).
Orodruin said:

Do you think my logic is right in defining the parameter A as the linear acceleration of the rolling object and that error was sufficient enough to cause variation in the equations?

Acceleration is defined as rate of change of velocity. You cannot assume (or define) the acceleration to be the constant A in your equation. But, as @Orodruin hinted, A is related in some way to the acceleration.

You might try a web search for "constant acceleration".

Likes jfnn
Please, one post at a time. Posting three consecutive messages within two minutes makes it seem as if you did not think through what you wanted to say and fragments your post.

jfnn said:
Acceleration is the change in the velocity over time.

So how do we describe this mathematically? How do we describe the velocity mathematically given ##x## as a function of ##t##? How do we then describe the acceleration mathematically if given ##x## as a function of ##t##?

Likes jfnn
Orodruin said:
Please, one post at a time. Posting three consecutive messages within two minutes makes it seem as if you did not think through what you wanted to say and fragments your post.
So how do we describe this mathematically? How do we describe the velocity mathematically given ##x## as a function of ##t##? How do we then describe the acceleration mathematically if given ##x## as a function of ##t##?

Thank you for your response, so sorry for multiple posts, ill keep that in mind.

So if I look at the kinematics equation describing the horizontal position of an object, I see the equation: x = 1/2at^2 + vt + x0

When comparing this to the parabolic equation that I got form my experimental data points on the tracker software, I get an equation of the form: x = 1/2At^2 + Bt + C.

It makes it more clear now relating the two equations, as they both describe the horizontal motion over time.

Therefore, the parameter A, which is the only quadratic term, must equal 1/2at^2 therefore if we set equal:

At^2 = 1/2at^2

A=1/2a then the parameter A is 1/2 the linear acceleration. So to find the linear acceleration, I must multiply the parameter A by 2? Does that make more sense?

The velocity is the change in position over time, which would be equivalent to the slope of my x-t graph. This value is what the value of parameter B is.

Does this work? Thank you for your repose to my question, it sparked my brain and made me think of this..

jfnn said:
A=1/2a then the parameter A is 1/2 the linear acceleration. So to find the linear acceleration, I must multiply the parameter A by 2? Does that make more sense?
Yes, this is correct.

jfnn said:
The velocity is the change in position over time, which would be equivalent to the slope of my x-t graph. This value is what the value of parameter B is.
This is only true at ##t = 0##.

Orodruin said:
Yes, this is correct.This is only true at ##t = 0##.

Oh you are exactly right. The velocity of the object obviously changes with time due to the constant acceleration, so this value will change.

I appreciate all your help. Finally time to get this done!

What do the values represent in this equation?

The values in an equation represent the quantities or variables that are being compared or related to each other. Each value has a specific meaning and purpose in the equation.

How do I know which value represents what in an equation?

The values in an equation are typically labeled or given specific names, such as x, y, or z. These labels can help you identify which value represents which quantity or variable in the equation.

Why are values important in an equation?

Values are important in an equation because they allow us to make comparisons and solve for unknown quantities. Without values, equations would have no meaning or purpose.

Can values be changed in an equation?

Yes, values can be changed in an equation. This can be done by substituting different numbers or variables in place of the original values. However, changing the values may affect the outcome or solution of the equation.

Are there any rules for using values in an equation?

Yes, there are rules for using values in an equation. These rules include following the correct order of operations, balancing both sides of the equation, and properly labeling and identifying the values. Violating these rules can result in an incorrect solution to the equation.