What do wave crests indicate about a boat's speed?

In summary, wave crests can indicate a boat's speed by measuring the distance between each crest. The closer the crests are together, the faster the boat is moving. This is known as the wavelength and is directly related to the boat's speed. In addition, the shape and size of the wave crests can also indicate the type of boat and its speed. For example, a larger boat with more power will create larger and more frequent crests, while a smaller boat will create smaller and less frequent crests. Overall, wave crests are a useful tool in determining a boat's speed and can provide valuable information for sailors and boaters.
Mohammed Sayanvala

Homework Statement

A-boat-moving-across-the-surface-of-water-producing-a-Kelvin-wake-pattern.png

*I cannot place the original image due to copyright reasons, but the image above is a good alternative.

"Wave crests spread out behind a boat as shown above. What do the wave crests indicate about the boat's speed?"
  1. It is increasing.
  2. It is less than the speed of the water waves.
  3. It is equal to the speed of the water waves.
  4. It is greater than the speed of the water waves.
  5. The wave crests do not indicate anything about the boat's speed.

Homework Equations

v=fλ
v=Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps, since the distance between the crests remains constant, the speed of the boat is equal to the speed of the water waves. But, then if the boat is moving at a constant speed (slower than the speed of water waves), won't the distance between water waves also be constant...?

Attachments

• A-boat-moving-across-the-surface-of-water-producing-a-Kelvin-wake-pattern.png
    A-boat-moving-across-the-surface-of-water-producing-a-Kelvin-wake-pattern.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 919
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the general shape of the water disturbance, can you say anything about the velocity of the boat versus the velocity of the spread of the waves? Can you detect any change in the disturbance shape near the boat (just made) versus the shape farther back (made earlier)? And what does that mean?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Another way to start to think about this -- if the waves were spreading out from the boat at a 45 degree angle, what would that tell you about the speed of the boat versus the speed of the waves? :smile:

Likes FactChecker
Mohammed Sayanvala said:
since the distance between the crests remains constant, the speed of the boat is equal to the speed of the water waves.
Is there a good reason to suppose that the distance between the crests is affected by the speed of the boat?
Look at the direction of a wavefront and backtrack to see where it started. How far have the wave and boat traveled from that point?
berkeman said:
if the waves were spreading out from the boat at a 45 degree angle
Ok, but the answer might not be quite what you think.

Research: "Kelvin wake".

Likes FactChecker
haruspex said:
Ok, but the answer might not be quite what you think.
Interesting. I'll have to think about that more...

I briefly researched "Kelvin wake", as @gneill recommended and I think that the real answer is MUCH more complicated than I originally imagined. IMHO, the person who made up this question was probably not intending such a complicated answer and expected an answer based on ##tan(\theta)##, even though that is wrong.

FactChecker said:
I briefly researched "Kelvin wake", as @gneill recommended and I think that the real answer is MUCH more complicated than I originally imagined. IMHO, the person who made up this question was probably not intending such a complicated answer and expected an answer based on ##tan(\theta)##, even though that is wrong.
The image posted (though I note this is not the one on which the thread is based) does show something which leads to one of the five answers. But that something I have in mind is not the pattern of wake behind the boat.
Hint: compare with the duck wake at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake#Kelvin_wake_pattern.
The image in post #1 is also at that link.

1. What causes wave crests to form behind a boat?

Wave crests are formed by the interaction between the boat's hull and the water. As the boat moves forward, the hull pushes water out of the way, creating a disturbance on the surface. This disturbance then spreads out and forms into waves, with the highest points being the wave crests.

2. How do wave crests indicate a boat's speed?

The distance between wave crests can give an indication of a boat's speed. The faster the boat is moving, the longer the distance between wave crests. This is because the boat is creating waves at a faster rate, causing them to spread out more. Additionally, the height of the wave crests can also indicate a boat's speed. Higher wave crests typically mean the boat is moving faster.

3. Can wave crests be used to measure a boat's speed?

Wave crests can provide an estimate of a boat's speed, but they are not a precise measurement. Several factors, such as wind and water conditions, can also affect the formation and height of wave crests. For a more accurate measurement of a boat's speed, other methods such as GPS or a speedometer should be used.

4. Do different types of boats have different wave crest patterns?

Yes, different types of boats can have different wave crest patterns. Factors such as the boat's shape, size, and speed can all affect the formation and appearance of wave crests. For example, a larger boat may create larger and more spaced out wave crests compared to a smaller boat moving at the same speed.

5. Can wave crests indicate if a boat is traveling against or with the current?

Wave crests alone cannot indicate the direction of a boat's movement. However, if other factors such as wind and water conditions are taken into account, wave crests can provide some indication. For example, if a boat is moving against a strong current, the wave crests may appear to be moving in the opposite direction of the boat's movement.