What do you do with spare time?

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, people usually spend their free time doing different things. Some people like to watch TV shows, others like to play video games, and others like to read books. Some people also like to go out and do different things, such as go hiking or visit friends.
munky99999
Well i was going to make a poll. But the options are rather unique. So how about just posting about how you like to spend spare time(holidays or weekends...etc).

Im talking time which your expected to do no work at all. Like you have the whole day off. What do you like to do.

Well ill start off with me.

If i have say a whole day off. There are a number of different things i tend to do. Sometimes I watch Seasons of tv shows. X-files atm. I also like to play video games. Battlefield 2 in particular. I also look at the Canadian political news, http://www.ananova.com/news/lp.html?keywords=Quirkies" and latest science related news. I often read books also. Currently I am reading "The end of Faith" by Sam Harris.

Well that's briefly what i would do with my spare time.
How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
munky99999 said:
Well i was going to make a poll. But the options are rather unique. So how about just posting about how you like to spend spare time(holidays or weekends...etc).

Im talking time which your expected to do no work at all. Like you have the whole day off. What do you like to do.

Well ill start off with me.

If i have say a whole day off. There are a number of different things i tend to do. Sometimes I watch Seasons of tv shows. X-files atm. I also like to play video games. Battlefield 2 in particular. I also look at the Canadian political news, http://www.ananova.com/news/lp.html?keywords=Quirkies" and latest science related news. I often read books also. Currently I am reading "The end of Faith" by Sam Harris.

Well that's briefly what i would do with my spare time.
How about you?

I'm going to break the rules of this right off the bat, because I like working.

So I spend my free time http://arxiv.org" (incidently that site is way out of date and I don't think our current SPS people even know it exists). And sometimes I go to the beach. I like the beach. Its nice. Otherwise, I work. I like work. Its nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for a drive downtown and enjoy the city.

hmm... that really depends if I am th only one with a break... id rather go out with friends to the beach\mall\movies\net-playing

but if I am the only one who has the extra time (like it usually is)
i'll read a book, look for interesting news (newspaper, www.tomshardware.com , ign.com.. and some more..)
then i'll see if there's something interesting on the history channel or national geographic.
i'll probably have time to have a look here too :biggrin:
and play some computer game (if this spare time sould show up in a month the game will probably be TES: oblivion)

oh, and ofcourse, going to the gym if its an odd day.

but if i had more then one day, i would probably use it for a hike, or go to visit friends who live far away.

What spare time!? lol

In my spare time I ride dirtbikes, play bball or whatever else I feel like at the time, play guitar...good stuff like that.

read Canadian history, read math/science 'non-textbooks', do math, talk on msn messenger, study baking & cooking books, shop for cds & more books, wander around downtown, watch dvds... this summer I'm thinking of going on a couple road trips, camping & ...probably some other stuff as well that i can't think of :tongue:

I mostly read. Right now I'm reading Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas, and a collection of works by Kant.

but if I am the only one who has the extra time (like it usually is)
same here. all my friends have 1-2 jobs + school and study. there is no chance of anything social. my sisters who are like grade 9-10 don't understand this and think that I am anti-social loser.

as for newspaper. my dad ordered the newspaper for the whole winter. something like 4 months. he payed in full for the 4 months. when 4 months ended he was going back to work. but after 4 months were up. the newspaper guy kept delivering for the longest time. now the newspaper wants money for the newspapers that were delivered by accident. which is stupid. they should be taking that money out of the deliverer. so unless we pay this stupid money. they won't deliver the paper.

hiking sounds fun. but there really isn't anything to hike or camp around my area.

Working, playing Doom, or playing ikaruga.

Sometimes go to theatres and royal Albert hall.

I just work on these physics equations on my breaks at the Patent Office.I won't ever win a nobel prize or anything with them,it's just somthing I do for fun.

scorpa said:
What spare time!? lol
Yeah, what spare time? :rofl: Spare time is when I sleep between 0200 and 0400. :biggrin:

I play foosball.

scott1 said:
I just work on these physics equations on my breaks at the Patent Office.I won't ever win a nobel prize or anything with them,it's just somthing I do for fun.
What do you do at the patent office?

zoobyshoe said:
He's a patent clerk of course!

I find myself reading Wikipedia a lot during my free time. It's so addicting! During the weekdays, it's usually schoolwork that takes up most of my time, but on the weekends, I find myself going out a lot recently with friends. And no, I don't go to bars...

guitar and instant messengers mostly. if i have the whole day off, no strings attached, (ie no work i could possibly do) and if I'm already well rested, i love to hike and camp a lot. i don't have any friends who're into it though, so i have to really be in the mood for some alone time. usually i'll bring a book along, and find a nice place to sit and read and eat some lunch or dinner. i like to bring a notebook too in case i feel like drawing or writing anything.

if i just have a small break in the day and its nice out, i hacky sack! god i can't wait for it to be warm enough without snow melt everywhere so that i can hack again.

Hello forum.

Actually what my dream is to do while I'm not working is to hang out in my living room and talk about nature. I'm obsessed.

I'm a chemistry and physics double major and I'm happy to have found this forum.

There's life beyond PF?

zoobyshoe said:
It was a joke:rofl:
I thought you would see the comparsion with this guy
On May 14, 1904, the couple's first son, Hans Albert Einstein, was born. In 1903, Einstein's position at the Swiss Patent Office had been made permanent, though he was passed over for promotion until he had "fully mastered machine technology".8 He obtained his doctorate after submitting his thesis "A new determination of molecular dimensions" ("Eine neue Bestimmung der Moleküldimensionen") in 1905.

selfAdjoint said:
There's life beyond PF?
No, just a lot of unsubstantiated rumors.

scott1 said:
It was a joke:rofl:
I thought you would see the comparsion with this guy
Hans?His name was really Hans?

zoobyshoe said:
Hans?His name was really Hans?
No that was his sons name.

scott1 said:
No that was his sons name.
Who's son's name?

zoobyshoe said:
Who's son's name?
Albert Einstien!

Reading, shooting billiards, drinking... yeah that's about it lately.

scott1 said:
Albert Einstien!
Who's Albert Einstien?

I like to lay down and take a nap. I'll spend time with friends who also got nothing to do, but if nobody can, or if I don't want to hang out, I play guitar or bass, or read something or play a video game or try to entertain ongoing ideas/projects in theoretical physics that I understand, or just sit still in a trance. Sometimes I go a week without playing bass and sometimes I play for 4-6 hours straight when I'm really into it, and don't have anything else to do. I've been getting into snowboarding lately, and I plan on going next week. Oh yeah, sometimes I'll attend a poker game at a friend's apartment who always has them.

Last edited:
munky99999 said:

Spare time? Days off? Time when you're expected to do no work at all? *scratches head* I have this vague recollection of days like that, but it feels like it was so long ago, maybe it was just a dream. :rolleyes:

Spare time? You mean that instant between turning off the light and lying down in bed?

Evo said:
Spare time? You mean that instant between turning off the light and lying down in bed?
heh. man must suck having no time to do things of interest. One reason why i never was into business. you basically have no time for yourself. which is the point of working all the time.

-Get job so that you buy that new computer or tv system.
-job takes all ur time.
-never actually use that new computer or entertainment system.

I beat up the fecund foosball nerds and find that English doesn't have more infixes absofecundlutely unfecundbelievable!

honestrosewater said:
I beat up the fecund foosball nerds
Bring it girl!

Too bad you'll catch me though, because, due to my foosball playing, my door opening ability is second to none!

LeBrad said:
Too bad you'll catch me though,
Wow, your cunning linguist skills are prostrating.
because, due to my foosball playing, my door opening ability is second to none!
Due to your foosball playing, I'm sure.

honestrosewater said:
Wow, your cunning linguist skills are prostrating.
Due to your foosball playing, I'm sure.

My door opening skills have increased, but my typing skills have suffered from it.

LeBrad said:
My door opening skills have increased, but my typing skills have suffered from it.
You should take up puppeteering then. You have a behind-the-scenes kind of face anyway.

honestrosewater said:
You should take up puppeteering then. You have a behind-the-scenes kind of face anyway.

You are mean.