What does a magnetic moment of an atom mean?

In summary, Magnetic moments can be found in different units which can create confusion when trying to compare values. A table of magnetic moments in standard units can be found at the WEB ELEMENTS website.
schrodingerscat11
I am using VASP and it recommended to use the experimental magnetic moment for MAGMOM tag. The problem is I can't find a standard table of magnetic moments. I see different values from different sources. E.g In Web Elements, the magnetic moment of Fe is 0.096 μ/μN. But in another source, it is 2.22 μN per atom. Is there an "official" table of magnetic moments in standard units (whatever that unit may be)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2.2 bohr magnetons seems about right for the atomic magnetic moment of atomic Iron... I have not found a source disagreeing with that.

I found this:
http://www.webelements.com/iron/
... that what you saw?

About half way down the page, under the heading "iron isotopes" there is a table of properties, listing the value you quoted under the column "nuclear magnetic moment".
0.09 bohr seems about right for the nuclear magnetic moment.

I cannot check the other reference because you did not cite it.

What counts as a good reference depends on what you want the information for.
A standard desk reference is usually good enough for proof-of-concept type stuff, i.e. the Web Elements page used:
Mills, I. et al. Quantities, Units and Symbols in Physical Chemistry, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 1988.

Bleeding edge development may be sensitive to the precision of numbers so it should either be measured in-house or the best recent measurement from the literature for your field should be used.

Standard accepted values can usually be found published by the national standards body for your jurisdiction.

Likes schrodingerscat11
Thanks! I found an example and they used the one in Bohr magnetons, (2.22). The source is Kittel's book.. :)

Well done.
In general, when looking up standard references, you have to be sure to read the surrounding text carefully - that will explain what, exactly, is being measured and, sometimes, how. People get caught out all the time. A good source should also have an error estimate with measurements.

Thanks! I will follow your advice. :)

Related to What does a magnetic moment of an atom mean?

1. What is a magnetic moment of an atom?

The magnetic moment of an atom refers to the strength and direction of its magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic moment of an atom determined?

The magnetic moment of an atom is determined by its electron configuration and the spin of its electrons.

3. What causes an atom to have a magnetic moment?

An atom has a magnetic moment when its electrons have an unpaired spin, which creates a tiny magnetic field around the atom.

4. How does the magnetic moment of an atom affect its behavior?

The magnetic moment of an atom can affect its interactions with other atoms and molecules, as well as its response to external magnetic fields.

5. Can the magnetic moment of an atom be changed?

Yes, the magnetic moment of an atom can be changed by altering its electron configuration or by applying an external magnetic field.