What does it mean for spins to be anti-phase with each other?

• I
  • Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: The text does not provide a clear explanation, but it seems that coupling between two spins can be explained by a phenomenon called "entanglement." In short, when two particles are entangled, their states are correlated even if they are separated by great distances. This is a very strange property of the universe, and it is currently not understood in detail.
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
please see below
A pair of spins described by the product operators ##I_{1x}I_{2z}## are said to be anti-phase, while ##I_{1y}I_{2y}## are in phase. What does it mean for a pair of spins to be anti-phase with each other, when their spatial vectors representing direction are orthogonal in space?

Under coupling conditions, a set of spins evolve from anti-phase to in-phase to anti-phase to in-phase. Is "coupling" between two spins a fundamental quantum mechanical property, or can it be reduced to another principle, like entanglement?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What concrete system/Hamiltonian are you talking about?

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
thanks for your reply. here is the description of the system and the hamiltonian for J-coupling. :)
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.59.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.59.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 11.00.09 AM.png

Likes vanhees71
docnet said:
here is the description of the system and the hamiltonian for J-coupling

What reference is this from?

Likes docnet and vanhees71
Yes, I'd also need a bit more context. The terminology used in the above source is unfamiliar to me.

Likes docnet
PeterDonis said:
What reference is this from?
It is from lectures by the Keeler group found here

copy-paste link: http://www-keeler.ch.cam.ac.uk/lectures/

vanhees71 said:
Yes, I'd also need a bit more context. The terminology used in the above source is unfamiliar to me.

The text uses the "product operator formalism" where ##I_x=M_x## refers to the expectation value of the ensemble average (ensemble here means set of identical spins) aka the bulk magnetic momentum. It is unconventional quantum mechanics notation and seems to confuse other students too.

The scalar coupling means two identical spins are interacting by a direct covalent bond. It could be related to the exchange interaction but I am not sure.

vanhees71 said:

So sorry, the system in question is a pair of directly bonded nuclei in a uniform magnetic field. It is from nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and it deals with the average expectation values. So the mathematics is based on deterministic, classical reasoning and only deals with rotations in 3D space. ##J_{12}## is the coupling constant, and ##t## is the time under evolution

I am not interested so much in a detailed analysis of the experiments, but interested in a theoretical principle that explains why the spin behaves this strangely under coupling conditions.

1. What is the concept of "anti-phase" spins?

The concept of "anti-phase" spins refers to the relative orientation of two or more spinning particles. When two spins are anti-phase, it means that they are spinning in opposite directions at the same time.

2. How is the anti-phase relationship between spins determined?

The anti-phase relationship between spins is determined by the phase difference between the two spins. If the phase difference is exactly half of a full rotation, then the spins are considered to be anti-phase.

3. What are the implications of anti-phase spins in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, anti-phase spins play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. They are used to describe the spin states of particles and can affect the outcome of certain experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

4. Can anti-phase spins be observed in everyday life?

Yes, anti-phase spins can be observed in everyday life. For example, the spin of electrons in opposite directions in a magnetic field is an example of anti-phase spins. This phenomenon is used in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. How is the anti-phase relationship between spins utilized in technologies?

The anti-phase relationship between spins is utilized in technologies such as MRI, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS). These technologies rely on the detection and manipulation of the anti-phase spins of particles to create images or gather information about the structure and composition of molecules.