What does negative contrast look like?

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the best oxide thickness and material to maximize the contrast of a one atom thick material layer on a silicon chip. They used Fresnel equations to plot the contrast with respect to oxide thickness and wavelength, but found that the contrast can sometimes be negative. They initially thought there was an error in their code, but determined that it works for graphene. They also discovered that negative contrast can occur with enough layers of graphene. The speaker is now seeking information on how to interpret this negative contrast and how it can be seen with a microscope. They also mention the possibility of needing to square the negative value to get a positive value, but are unsure if this applies in this case.
DemoniWaari
I was trying to determine the best oxide thickness and material for maximising the contrast of one atom thick material layer on top of silicon chip. Using Fresnel equations I was able to do plot the contrast with respect to oxide thickness and wavelength, but alas, contrast seems to be sometimes negative.

So first I thought that there is something wrong with my code, but it works perfectly for graphene so that does not seem to be the case. I also checked that you can get negative contrast for graphene when there are enough layers, so maybe my result isn't completely wrong.

Thus what does this negative contrast look like? I want to know how easily one can see this one atom thick layer with a microscope, so I need some information on how I can interpret this result.

So, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I'm not going to pretend to understand the question fully, but nevertheless because negative contrast doesn't seem to make sense to me I was wondering if, like negative probabilities, it needs to be squared to get a positive value, or if indeed a negative value is the same as a positive value in this case... I'll get my coat...

1. What is negative contrast?

Negative contrast is a visual phenomenon where an object appears darker than its surroundings due to the presence of a contrasting background.

2. How does negative contrast work?

Negative contrast occurs when the human eye perceives a darker object against a lighter background. This is due to the way our brains process visual information and the contrast sensitivity of our eyes.

3. Can negative contrast be seen in all types of images?

Negative contrast can be seen in both digital and physical images, as long as there is a clear contrast between the object and its background. It is often used in photography and graphic design to create a sense of depth and focus.

4. How does negative contrast affect our perception?

Negative contrast can influence our perception by making objects appear more prominent and easier to see. It can also affect the overall mood or tone of an image, as darker objects can create a sense of tension or mystery.

5. Is negative contrast always considered a desirable effect?

Negative contrast can be a desirable effect in certain contexts, such as in art or design. However, in some cases, it can also be a result of poor lighting or image quality and may not be desired. It ultimately depends on the intention of the creator and the overall aesthetic of the image.