What Does the Branch of the Cube Root Function Mean?

In summary, we are asked to find the value of the function $f(z)=z^{1/3}$ at the point $z=-i$, where $f$ is defined as the branch of the cube root with $0<\theta<2\pi$ and $z\neq 0$. This branch cut is along the ray $\theta=0$.
alexmahone
Let $f(z)=z^{1/3}$ be the branch of the cube root whose domain of definition is given by $0<\theta<2\pi$, $z\neq 0$ (i.e. the branch cut is along the ray $\theta=0$.) Find $f(-i)$.

Could someone please help me understand the question? I'm not too clear on "branches" and "branch cuts".

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexmahone,

Recall that a nonzero complex number has infinitely many arguments. In fact, any two arguments of a complex number differ by an integer multiple of $2\pi$. This is why we consider branches of the cube root; the cube root function is generally multi-valued, and the branch cuts allows us to define the cube root so that it is single-valued (so for every $z$ in the domain there is a unique argument of $z$).

In your situation, $f$ is defined on the complement of the $[0,\infty)$, and is determined by the equation

$$f(z) = e^{(1/3)\operatorname{arg}(z)} \qquad (0 < \operatorname{arg}(z) < 2\pi)$$

Evaluate $\arg(-i)$ first, then plug it into the formula for $f(z)$ to get the answer.

Sure, I can try to help explain the question for you.

In this context, "branches" refer to different possible values for the function $f(z)=z^{1/3}$. For example, the cube root of 8 has three possible values: 2, -1+sqrt(3)i, and -1-sqrt(3)i. These are the three branches of the cube root function.

However, in this problem, we are only interested in one specific branch of the cube root function, denoted by $f(z)=z^{1/3}$. This branch is defined by the condition that $0<\theta<2\pi$, which means that the angle of the complex number $z$ must be between 0 and 2pi (or between 0 and 360 degrees). This branch also excludes the point $z=0$, which is the origin on the complex plane.

Now, the "branch cut" is a line or curve on the complex plane where the function is not defined. In this case, the branch cut is along the ray $\theta=0$, which means that the function is not defined for any complex number with an angle of 0 degrees (or any real number on the positive x-axis).

So, to find $f(-i)$, we need to first determine which branch of the cube root function we are using (in this case, the one with $0<\theta<2\pi$ and $z\neq 0$). Then, we simply plug in $z=-i$ into the function $f(z)=z^{1/3}$ to get our answer.

I hope that helps clarify the question for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to What Does the Branch of the Cube Root Function Mean?

What is a branch of the cube root?

A branch of the cube root is a mathematical concept that involves finding the principal cube root of a number. This means finding the number that, when cubed, gives the original number.

How many branches does the cube root have?

The cube root has three branches. This is because there are three different numbers that, when cubed, give the same result. These numbers are known as the cube roots of the original number.

What is the difference between a branch and a root in the context of the cube root?

In the context of the cube root, a root is a number that, when cubed, gives the original number. A branch, on the other hand, is a specific value of the root. There are three branches for each root in the cube root.

How do you find the branches of a cube root?

To find the branches of a cube root, you can use the formula: (a + bi) * (a + bi) * (a + bi) = n where a is the real part of the root and bi is the imaginary part. This will give you the three branches of the cube root.

What is the purpose of finding branches in the cube root?

The main purpose of finding branches in the cube root is to have a complete understanding of the different solutions to a cubic equation. It also allows for a more accurate representation of complex numbers in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.