What does the j means in this notation?

In summary, the Maxwell stress tensor is a vector that represents the stress in a material due to an electric field. The jth component of the vector is affected by the jth component of the electric field. The terms in the sum are different depending on the value of j.
sams
Gold Member
This section of Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths, section 8.2.2 (page 363), is talking about the Maxwell's Stress Tensor. I do not quite understand what the j means on the left = sign (for either of the two representations) in the attached figure highlighted in yellow color. I have read about tensors and their Index Gymnastics but I still do not understand this notation. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Tensor.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
The LHS is the jth component of the vector ##\vec a \cdot \overleftrightarrow T##.

Likes sams
How can j affect the summation on the right side of the equation? Does it decrease the tensor by one rank?

Last edited:
Each of the equations is really three different equations, one for every possible value of j.

Likes sams
How come they are different equations? Isn't it one equation, since we have the summation operator leading to different terms but added together to form one equation?

You do not have a summation over j. The j represents different components of a vector. If you take two vectors ##\vec v## and ##\vec w## that are equal, this is the same as saying that their components are equal. This would be written ##v_j = w_j##, which represents one equation for every possible value of ##j##. The equations you posted are really no different from this. They are telling you how the components of ##\vec a \cdot \overleftrightarrow T## and ##\overleftrightarrow T \cdot \vec a## relate to the components of ##\vec a## and ##\overleftrightarrow T##.

Likes sams
To be more specific. Writing out the sum in the first equation would give you
$$
\sum_{i = x,y,z} a_i T_{ij} = a_x T_{xj} + a_y T_{yj} + a_z T_{zj}.
$$
Letting ##j = x## you would now get
$$
\left(\vec a \cdot \overleftrightarrow T\right)_x = a_x T_{xx} + a_y T_{yx} + a_z T_{zx}
$$
whereas if you let ##j = y## you get the different relation
$$
\left(\vec a \cdot \overleftrightarrow T\right)_y = a_x T_{xy} + a_y T_{yy} + a_z T_{zy}
$$
and so on.

Likes sams
Thank you so much Orodruin for the valuable information...

1. What is the role of the j in mathematical notation?

The j in mathematical notation typically stands for the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1. It is used in complex numbers and is an essential component in many mathematical operations.

2. How is the j used in electrical engineering and physics?

In electrical engineering and physics, the j is often used to represent the imaginary component in equations involving AC circuits and electromagnetic waves. It is also commonly used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

3. Can the j be used in place of the letter i in mathematical equations?

Yes, the j and i can be used interchangeably in most cases. However, in some fields, such as engineering, the j is preferred to avoid confusion with current, which is commonly denoted by the letter i.

4. Is the j always used to represent the imaginary unit?

In most cases, yes. However, in some fields, such as computer science, the letter i may be used instead of j to represent the imaginary unit. This is due to the use of the letter i to represent iterations in programming languages.

5. How does the j relate to the Cartesian coordinate system?

The j is used to represent the imaginary axis in the Cartesian coordinate system, which is the y-axis. This allows for the representation of complex numbers in the form of a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component, with b being the coefficient of the j term.