What does the symbol [=] mean?

• Thread starter emeraldskye177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Symbol
In summary, the symbol [=] is not commonly used and may possibly denote a dimension or units of a quantity. However, there is no clear definition or usage for this symbol and it is not found in online sources.
emeraldskye177

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking this up online but can't find anything. I think it has something to do with dimensional analysis or denoting the units of a quantity. E.g., is it valid to write:

t [=] seconds

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you provide some context or a few examples?
As long as the brackets are meant to belong to the sign, I have never seen this before. It might well be, that it denotes a dimension, as it would be in, e.g. ##[\vec{p}] = MLT^{-1}## (mass length / time) for momentum. A notation I've seen before. But I don't think it is in general use. And I can't see how ##t[=] \text{ seconds }## would make sense. Eventually ##[t] = \text{ seconds }##.

Google can't find [=] anywhere so very unlikely it exists.

The symbol [=] is known as the "equals" sign or "equality" sign. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer programming to indicate that two values are equal.

Is the symbol [=] interchangeable with the word "equals"?

Yes, the symbol and the word "equals" have the same meaning and can be used interchangeably. However, the symbol is typically used in mathematical or programming contexts, while the word "equals" is used more in everyday language.

Can the symbol [=] be used in other contexts besides mathematics and programming?

While the symbol is primarily used in mathematics and programming, it can also be used in other contexts to indicate equality or balance. For example, it is sometimes used in chemistry to represent a chemical reaction, and in accounting to indicate a balance between debits and credits.

What is the difference between the symbol [=] and the symbol [≡]?

The symbol [≡] is known as the "identical to" sign and is used to indicate that two expressions or values are exactly equal. This means that they have the same value and the same form. The symbol [=], on the other hand, is used to indicate that two values are equal but may not necessarily have the same form.

Can the symbol [=] be used to represent other mathematical operations?

No, the symbol [=] is specifically used to indicate equality between two values. Other mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, have their own specific symbols.