What does this article mean? (The holographic principle and M-cosmology)

In summary, the conversation discusses an article about the holographic principle and its potential use in interpreting quantum mechanics. The article presents a speculative model that suggests the observable universe is like a semitransparent mirror, making it difficult to distinguish between what is being observed and what is behind it. There is some confusion and disagreement surrounding the article, as it lacks equations and is considered oversimplified by some experts. Overall, the article delves into highly speculative theories that are difficult to test and understand, particularly for those not well-versed in the field.
Suekdccia
I was reading an article about holographic principle and M-cosmology and how could they be used to interpret QM mechanics. But there's a part where it talks about holographic principle in a strange way to me.

What does this article mean with this?:

"Since for the participant observer the observable universe appears less to be a hologram than rather to be a kind of semitransparent mirror, at which it seems hard to distinguish between, what it shows, from, what’s behind, and, what it reflects, from, what is and what happens in front of it.”

https://philarchive.org/archive/KURAIO-2

I've asked this question in other scientific discussion websites before, and the people that have answered me say that it is an oversimplified article that can create confusion mainly because the lack of equations.
But setting aside all of this, I wanted to know what is the article referring to.
Is it a sort of "alternative holographic model" where the observers inside the holographic universe would see what's in the bulk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suekdccia said:
I've asked this question in other scientific discussion websites before, and the people that have answered me say that it is an oversimplified article that can create confusion mainly because the lack of equations.

I would say that's an appropriate response. The models this article seems to be talking about are highly speculative to begin with, and we have no good way of testing them experimentally. Piling further speculations about interpretations of QM on top of that seems like an awful lot to digest, particularly if one is not very familiar with the models to begin with.

Suekdccia said:
I wanted to know what is the article referring to.

I'm not familiar enough with the field myself to know. Unfortunately, the only way to really dig into this is probably to start looking at the references given in the paper. References #10 and #11 seem like the ones that would give the most information on the cosmological model in question, but they also look like the most esoteric.

1. What is the holographic principle?

The holographic principle is a theory in physics that suggests the information in a volume of space can be encoded on its boundary. This means that a three-dimensional space can be described by a two-dimensional surface, much like a hologram.

2. How does the holographic principle relate to M-cosmology?

In M-cosmology, the holographic principle is used to explain the entropy (measure of disorder) of a black hole. The holographic principle suggests that the entropy of a black hole is proportional to its surface area, rather than its volume. This is consistent with the equations of M-cosmology, which also describe the entropy of a black hole in terms of its surface area.

3. What evidence supports the holographic principle?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the holographic principle comes from the AdS/CFT correspondence. This is a theoretical framework that shows a correspondence between a theory of gravity in a higher-dimensional space and a theory without gravity in a lower-dimensional space. This suggests that the information in the higher-dimensional space is somehow encoded on the boundary of the lower-dimensional space.

4. How does the holographic principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The holographic principle has implications for our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe may not be particles, but information. It also challenges traditional ideas about the nature of space and may provide insights into the unification of quantum mechanics and gravity.

5. Are there any criticisms of the holographic principle?

Some scientists have criticized the holographic principle for being too speculative and lacking empirical evidence. Others argue that it is too radical of a shift in our understanding of the universe. Additionally, there are ongoing debates about the implications of the holographic principle and how it fits into current theories of physics.