What does this sentence mean (literature)

In summary, Samuel Johnson argues that while Shakespeare's mixing of serious and comedic characters may go against the rules of literary criticism, there is always the option to appeal to nature, or the true purpose of writing. According to Johnson, the purpose of poetry is to instruct by pleasing, and this should be the ultimate measure of a play's worth. He also suggests that the rules of nature, or the true purpose of something, can supersede the rules of criticism.
ppppparker
Its one specific phrase that is confusing me and its from Samuel Johnson's Preface to Shakespeare.
I bolded the exact words that are giving me problems and I also provided the sentences before and after to provide context. (I understand what he is saying wrt how Shakespeare mixes comedy and tragic, --its just that specific phrase "an appeal open from criticism to nature" that I don't get.

Johnson says:
"Almost all his plays are divided between serious and ludicrous characters, and, in the successive evolutions of the design, sometimes produce seriousness and sorrow, and sometimes levity and laughter. That this is a practice contrary to the rules of criticism will be readily allowed; but there is always an appeal open from criticism to nature. The end of writing is to instruct; the end of poetry is to instruct by pleasing.

Thanks for any help or ideas

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
"appeal
  1. a serious or urgent request, typically one made to the public.
  2. an application to a higher court for a decision to be reversed.
  3. the quality of being attractive or interesting."
So, I think he's using "appeal" in the second sense, and means that it is always possible to go to the higher court of 'Nature' to reverse a ruling by the lower court of 'Criticism'.

By the 'rules of criticism', you shouldn't weave back and forth between seriousness and levity in the same work. But that happens in Nature all the time, and the rules of Nature supercede the rules of criticism, so it's actually OK to go back and forth between seriousness and levity in the same work.

That's my take on it.

Likes Hornbein, epenguin, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
thanks much .. I think u nailed it, even though u said that's your take on it. I know what was confusing me now, it was the use of the court metaphor and also that "nature" (basically) = "real life" or maybe something like reality TV. ANyway, my completed sentence (ir ur interested) is "Even though Shakespeare's unorthodox methods often violate conventional rules of criticism, they don't violate real life, which is a superior measure of a plays worth".
The only part I'm unsure about now is the word "criticism" (if this should be the "rules of drama" or poetics or whatever Johnson means when he says "the ancients"
Thanks a lot for the fast help

ppppparker said:
The only part I'm unsure about now is the word "criticism" (if this should be the "rules of drama" or poetics or whatever Johnson means when he says "the ancients"
I'm pretty sure it's just #2 below:
crit·i·cism/ˈkridəˌsizəm/
noun
  1. the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes.
  2. the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

I'd say 'nature' here is not supposed to mean 'real life' or natural world, but 'the nature of a (something)' - its purpose, or character.
So as the purpose of poetry is to instruct by pleasing, it is its nature to do so.

Taking it all together, the paraphrased passage would say: 'while such way of writing runs contrary to the standard rules of assessing literary works, in the end what counts is not whether something conforms to the rules, but whether it succeeds in achieving its intended purpose.'

What does it mean when someone says a sentence is open to interpretation?

When a sentence is described as open to interpretation, it means that there are multiple possible meanings or ways to understand it. This can be due to the use of ambiguous language, symbolism, or cultural context.

What is the difference between the literal and figurative meaning of a sentence?

The literal meaning of a sentence is the most basic, straightforward interpretation of the words. It is the surface-level meaning that is not open to interpretation. The figurative meaning, on the other hand, is the deeper, often symbolic or metaphorical meaning of the sentence that requires interpretation.

How can I analyze the meaning of a sentence in literature?

To analyze the meaning of a sentence in literature, you can start by looking at the word choice, sentence structure, and literary devices used. Consider the context of the sentence and how it relates to the overall themes and messages of the text. It can also be helpful to research the author's background and the historical or cultural context of the work.

What is the significance of understanding the meaning of a sentence in literature?

Understanding the meaning of a sentence in literature is crucial for comprehending the text as a whole. It allows readers to fully engage with the themes and messages of the work and to appreciate the author's use of language and literary techniques. Moreover, analyzing the meaning of a sentence can lead to a deeper understanding of the human experience and the world around us.

Can a sentence have more than one meaning in literature?

Yes, a sentence can have multiple meanings in literature. This is often intentional and allows for different interpretations and perspectives from readers. The use of symbolism, irony, and other literary devices can contribute to the complexity and layers of meaning in a single sentence.