What does this tricky quantum mechanics equation mean?

In summary: It's really helpful. In summary, it seems that the diagram you have shown may be referring to a quantum mechanical phenomenon known as decoherence. This may be responsible for some of the biochemical consequences that the paper discusses.
Ali Beladi
I'm a current high school student and I’m aspiring to become a biochemist. I’m at the moment writing an article about adaptive mutations but there is a lot of tricky quantum mechanics in it which I simply don't get. I have asked everyone and got no answer until someone recommended to ask it in a forum. I would more than grateful if someone could actually explain to me what on Earth is going on in the diagram I have shown below. Here is also a link to the article if you want extra context or just give it a read because it is very interesting:https://www.academia.edu/13243691/A_quantum_mechanical_model_of_adaptive_mutation
1610275225600.png

Physics news on Phys.org
@Ali Beladi I'm too zaly to even type correctly ##-## I think that you're right to wonder ##-## I think that biochemical consequences of quantum decoherence may be a lot to try to digest all at once.

Likes Ali Beladi
If you read the equations' symbols as if they were labels for "classically" or "common sensically" existing things, the equations would somewhat make sense. For example 'His" and "Arg" make sense classically, and something is either "His" or "Arg". However, in the quantum mechanical notation ##|\text{His} \rangle + |\text{Arg} \rangle##, it refers to something which is a superposition of "His" and "Arg", which is not possible classically. I think it goes without saying that the idea in the paper is quite speculative. However, for simpler things such as the chirality of sugars or ammonia, there is quite mainstream speculation that decoherence plays a role in explaining it (see section 2.2 of Zeh's article):

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9905004
The Meaning of Decoherence
H. D. Zeh

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, EPR and 1 other person
atyy said:
If you read the equations' symbols as if they were labels for "classically" or "common sensically" existing things, the equations would somewhat make sense. For example 'His" and "Arg" make sense classically, and something is either "His" or "Arg". However, in the quantum mechanical notation ##|\text{His} \rangle + |\text{Arg} \rangle##, it refers to something which is a superposition of "His" and "Arg", which is not possible classically. I think it goes without saying that the idea in the paper is quite speculative. However, for simpler things such as the chirality of sugars or ammonia, there is quite mainstream speculation that decoherence plays a role in explaining it (see section 2.2 of Zeh's article):

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9905004
The Meaning of Decoherence
H. D. Zeh
Thanks A lot

1) What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature.

2) How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, whereas classical mechanics deals with the behavior of larger objects. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and can behave in unpredictable ways, unlike classical particles which follow predictable paths.

3) What does the equation in quantum mechanics represent?

The equations in quantum mechanics represent the mathematical relationships between different physical quantities, such as energy, position, and momentum. These equations help us make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4) What is the significance of uncertainty in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one quantity affects the other, making it impossible to have complete knowledge of both. This principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world.

5) How is quantum mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering to understand and manipulate particles on a microscopic level.