What effect could a theory of everything have on science?

In summary: Theory of Everything.However, I also read that this 'almost there' feeling has always been ruling our hopes and then we suddenly realized that we're not almost there at all.In summary, the Theory of Everything is a theory that can explain everything in the Universe. It has been ruling our hopes for a final theory, but it is not nearly there yet. It would change nothing, because too many properties are emergent. However, it would turn into philosophy, because deep thinkers would ask what the equations mean. It predicts the existence of new particles, but the theory is not developed enough to be able to say anything about their properties yet.
Robin04
I know it's hard to predict but what are the probable outcomes? When I hear about the theory of everything in different situations it always makes me feel that we really want to believe that it will be a final fundamental theory. How could the theoretical work look like after its success? However, I also read that this 'almost there' feeling has always been ruling our hopes and then we suddenly realized that we're not almost there at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:
I know it's hard to predict but what are the probable outcomes? When I hear about the theory of everything in different situations it always makes me feel that we really want to believe that it will be a final fundamental theory. How could the theoretical work look like after its success? However, I also read that this 'almost there' feeling has always been ruling our hopes and then we suddenly realized that we're not almost there at all.
In some ways it would change nothing. Too many properties are emergent. Knowledge of the fundamental building blocks of the universe likely does not help you cure cancer, send a rocket to Mars, diagnose paranoid schizophrenia or solve the Navier Stokes equation.

Likes Ryan_m_b, PeroK and fresh_42
jbriggs444 said:
In some ways it would change nothing. Too many properties are emergent. Knowledge of the fundamental building blocks of the universe likely does not help you cure cancer, send a rocket to Mars, diagnose paranoid schizophrenia or solve the Navier Stokes equation.
Yes, but what about fundamental research? How would it change?

Robin04 said:
How could the theoretical work look like after its success?
How would we know that we have been successful in finding the "theory of everything"?

jtbell said:
How would we know that we have been successful in finding the "theory of everything"?
By having a theory that describes all the known interactions. I'm not trying to go down the hardcore philosophical road about whether we are able to know everything. What made me think about this question is a paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/0711.0770.pdf Unfortunetaly I don't know enough about physics and maths to understand this, but I read some articles and discussion (even here on PF) about it, and lots of people find this a good candidate for a theory of everything.

In my opinion the paper only says: Look, ##E_8## is large enough to contain all symmetry groups we have so far as subgroups. To me it seems like as if the known models were labeled by volume one to three and all together by ##E_8-##GUT. It doesn't unify, it samples. My impression with such expansions is always: Why don't we take ##SL(10^{100},\mathbb{C})## to contain literally everything?

But this is only a personal view. I'm no physicist. It's what it looks like from a mathematical point of view.

Likes Robin04
fresh_42 said:
But this is only a personal view. I'm no physicist. It's what it looks like from a mathematical point of view.
That's also how it looks from my view as experimental particle physicist.
If it would be a proper theory it would make predictions that can be tested (at least in principle).

Robin04 said:
Yes, but what about fundamental research? How would it change?
My guess is that it would turn into philosophy. Instead of asking what the fundamental equations are, deep thinkers would ask what those equations mean.

Likes Robin04
mfb said:
That's also how it looks from my view as experimental particle physicist.
If it would be a proper theory it would make predictions that can be tested (at least in principle).
As far as I know it predicts the existence of new particles but the theory is not developed enough to be able to say anything about their properties yet.

Last edited:
Robin04 said:
As far as I know it predicts the existence of new particles but the theory is not developed enough to be able to say anything about their properties yet.
Not that simple then...
It is trivial that there has to be something else, without a more specific prediction it is useless.

Theory Of Everything at best would be great ambition without any path to find the full achievement. One can only focus on a focused topic. "Focused" needs some explanation which maybe other well-educated members could maybe provide.

What is a "theory of everything"? Is it some unifying concept for micro and macro level physics? Hilbert's 6th problem?

If such theory were developed, I imagine much stays the same. We'd potentially have new techniques/new language/terminology to describe and attack some (open) problems.

Robin04 said:

Virtually every part of the Universe I have studied over may years leads me to conclude there is endless detail: no smallest small nor largest big. Rather we encounter singularities, catastrophes, critical points, and bifurcations into further detail. I am led therefore to pessimistically conclude there is not nor never will be a theory of everything unless that theory claims there is no theory of everything.

Likes symbolipoint
To me it seems that the Wheeler-DeWitt equation might well be the only quite scientific ToE, after all! All the rest may well be "unscientific" (yet, maintaining the Born rule somehow) boundary conditions being (re-)applied to it, at every observation act.

Last edited:

1. What is a theory of everything?

A theory of everything, also known as a "grand unified theory", is a theoretical framework that seeks to explain and unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It is a highly sought-after goal in physics and could potentially provide a complete understanding of the workings of the universe.

2. How would a theory of everything impact current scientific theories?

A theory of everything would have a significant impact on current scientific theories, as it would provide a more comprehensive and unified understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It would also help to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, two of the most successful but seemingly contradictory theories in modern physics.

3. Would a theory of everything be the end of scientific inquiry?

No, a theory of everything would not be the end of scientific inquiry. It would open up new avenues of research and discovery, as it would provide a deeper understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements. Science is an ever-evolving field, and there will always be more to learn and discover.

4. How would a theory of everything be tested or proven?

Currently, there is no one single theory of everything that has been proven or widely accepted by the scientific community. However, there are ongoing efforts to develop and test various theories that could potentially lead to a unified understanding of the universe. These theories are tested through experiments, observations, and mathematical models that are constantly being refined and improved upon.

5. What implications would a theory of everything have on society?

A theory of everything would have significant implications on society, as it would provide a deeper understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements. It could also have a profound impact on philosophy, religion, and our overall understanding of our place in the universe. However, these implications are still speculative, as a theory of everything has not yet been fully developed or proven.