What else can UV rays be used for?

In summary, according to the speaker, UV radiation does not leave any residual radiation behind, is used for various purposes, and is not particularly good for drying surfaces.
RICKYtan
**For example, drying a surface
--> I know it has an effect on the skin, but if it were contained and blocked from sight, would it still leave any radiation emissions on any hard surface??

Physics news on Phys.org
UV radiation does not leave any residual radiation behind, as it isn't neutron radiation. However, it can easily break many molecular bonds and quickly degrade the outer surface of a material. This is one reason the Sun bleaches objects left outside.

Are you trying to use UV light for some purpose?

Drakkith said:
UV radiation does not leave any residual radiation behind, as it isn't neutron radiation. However, it can easily break many molecular bonds and quickly degrade the outer surface of a material. This is one reason the Sun bleaches objects left outside.

Are you trying to use UV light for some purpose?

I was just thinking if UV rays can be used for some good...ultimately I'm curious if it can be used to dry surfaces, like running tracks or roads, without deterring/damaging any of the surface

RICKYtan said:
I was just thinking if UV rays can be used for some good...

Certainly. Here's a list of applications on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet#Applications
RICKYtan said:
ultimately I'm curious if it can be used to dry surfaces, like running tracks or roads, without deterring/damaging any of the surface

I can't imagine that it would be more effective and cost efficient than other ways of drying the surface. To dry the surface you're going to need to evaporate the water (unless you have a really big towel), which means you'll have to put in some minimum amount of energy, no matter what the method of drying is. Certain methods are better than others, and I can't see UV as being a particularly good way of going about it.

Likes RICKYtan
it's also used in dentistry for setting of the composite filling material in tooth cavities

davenn said:
it's also used in dentistry for setting of the composite filling material in tooth cavities
And curing a whole host of adhesives. The guy who repaired the chip on my windscreen used a clear resin which was set in about a minute with a UV source held against the glass.

Likes davenn
Fluorescent lighting. u.v. is used to excite the phosphor coating on the lightbulb wall, which then emits visible light.

Before the NSLS at Brookhaven was decommissioned, it had two separate synchrotron rings: the larger x-ray ring and the smaller UV ring. The UV facility was very useful to study low-energy excitation of materials.

I was one of the beneficiaries of the UV ring at NSLS I. The old lady was showing its age by the time it was shut down, but boy did that place produced a lot of good science!

Zz.

1. What are some other uses for UV rays besides tanning?

UV rays can be used for sterilization and disinfection in medical and industrial settings. They are also used in printing processes, such as creating fluorescent inks and curing coatings on various materials.

2. Can UV rays be used for treating skin conditions?

Yes, UV rays are used in phototherapy to treat conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and vitiligo. Controlled exposure to UVB rays can help improve symptoms and promote healing.

3. Are there any benefits to using UV rays in water treatment?

Yes, UV rays can be used to disinfect water by destroying harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and algae. This method is environmentally friendly and does not leave any chemical residue in the water.

4. Can UV rays be used for food preservation?

Yes, UV rays are used in food packaging to extend the shelf life of certain foods. This is done by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and fungi that can spoil the food. UV rays are also used in food processing to sterilize equipment.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using UV rays?

UV rays can be harmful to human health if not used carefully. Overexposure to UV rays can lead to sunburn, skin cancer, and eye damage. It is important to always follow safety precautions when using UV rays for any purpose.