What equpment can be used to time a quick blow fuse

• Thread starter tina_tam007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuse Time
In summary, to time a "quick blow" fuse, you can use a scope and observe the I/t graph to calculate the time it takes for the fuse to blow. Alternatively, a hand held stop watch can also be used by starting it when the current reaches the maximum and stopping it when it reaches zero, with the reaction time of the person timing deducted from the results.
tina_tam007
What equpment can be used to time a "quick blow" fuse

Hi everyone,
I just received a planning and design lab that requries me to measure the time taken to for a "quick blow" fuse to blow when the current in the equipment it is in, rises above the predetermined point. The times being dealt with are in milliseconds and so I have no idea what basic lab equipment can be used to measure these kinds of times. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

so far all I could come up with is a normal hand held stop watch that should be started when the current reaches the maximum current that the equipment could handle and stopped when the courrent reaches zero. The reaction time of the person doing the timing should be deducted from the results.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi,

You can just connect a scope across the fuse. Observe the I/t graph on the scope and when the fuse blows the current on the scope will drop to zero. Just calculte how how it was before the current went to zero.

Related to What equpment can be used to time a quick blow fuse

What equipment can be used to time a quick blow fuse?

The following are commonly used equipment to time a quick blow fuse:

• Stopwatch or timer
  • Oscilloscope
  • Current clamp meter
  • Multimeter
  • High-speed camera

Can a regular stopwatch be used to time a quick blow fuse?

Yes, a regular stopwatch can be used to time a quick blow fuse. However, it may not provide accurate results as it may not have a high enough resolution to capture the quick blow duration.

What is an oscilloscope and how is it used to time a quick blow fuse?

An oscilloscope is a device used to measure and display electrical signals. It can be used to time a quick blow fuse by connecting the fuse to the input channel of the oscilloscope and setting the time base to a fast enough setting to capture the fuse blowing. The oscilloscope will then display the time duration of the quick blow.

Can a multimeter be used to time a quick blow fuse?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to time a quick blow fuse. However, it may not provide as accurate results as other equipment such as an oscilloscope or high-speed camera.

Why is a high-speed camera useful for timing a quick blow fuse?

A high-speed camera is useful for timing a quick blow fuse because it has a high frame rate, allowing it to capture the quick blowing of the fuse. This can provide more accurate results compared to other equipment with slower recording capabilities.