Resistance, wire thickness, fuses, current -- Confusion

In summary, the statement made by the book is correct in stating that a thick wire used in an electrical circuit will result in a higher current and can get hot quickly. However, fuses in plugs are designed to blow at a certain current and duration, therefore they are typically thinner than household wire. The thickness of the wire determines the resistance and current flow, with thicker wires having lower resistance and higher current flow.
Barclay

Homework Statement

In a book discussing a simple electrical circuit it said "If a thick wire is used in the experiment, the current will be extremely high for a very low voltage. The wire can get very hot very quickly".

This got me thinking about fuses in plugs. Is the fuse in a plug a thick wire so that it becomes hot a blows readily? I always thought it was a thin wire.

The statement made by the book is correct because:

resistance of wire ∝ 1/cross-sectional area

So as the wire thickens it's resistance decreases (so it is a low resistance wire).

V = IR

R 1/ I So because the resistance of this thick piece of wire is low it will take in high current and get hot.Or was I correct earlier when I thought that fuse wires are normally thin compared to the rest of the circuit so that they do not get hot and blow too readily?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The wire in fuses is sized to blow for a given current and duration. Higher amperage fuses will be thicker than lower amperage fuses.

A wire gets hot (hot enough to burn skin, or melt its insulation off) because its Thermal Energy must flow thru its surface Area (to outside).
Thick wire carries a similar current density (I/A) as thin wire , for a given local E-field (V/m).
fuse wire is typically thinner than "household wire" so that it gets hot enough to melt itself, carrying only a few Amps.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is affected by factors such as the material's dimensions, temperature, and type of current.

How does wire thickness affect resistance?

Thicker wires have less resistance compared to thinner wires. This is because thicker wires have more space for electrons to flow through, so there is less opposition to the current. In contrast, thinner wires have less space for electrons to flow, resulting in higher resistance.

Why do we use fuses in electrical circuits?

Fuses are used in electrical circuits to protect against excessive current. They act as a safety device by breaking the circuit when the current exceeds a certain level, preventing damage to the circuit or potential fires.

What is the relationship between current and resistance?

Current and resistance have an inverse relationship. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

Why is it important to consider resistance when designing electrical circuits?

Resistance plays a crucial role in the design of electrical circuits as it affects the performance and safety of the circuit. Too much resistance can cause the circuit to overheat and malfunction, while too little resistance can lead to excessive current and potential damage. Therefore, understanding and managing resistance is essential in designing efficient and safe electrical circuits.