What exactly is a measurement device and how does it work?

In summary: For more on decoherence and relation to quantum measurements see my 3rd lecture in...Quantum Mechanics: A Very Short Introduction
Quantum Alchemy
What exactly is a measurement device and how does it carry out a measurement?

For instance, in the double slit experiment, you always hear about particle/wave duality. When it's not being measured it behaves like a wave but when a measuring device is placed by the slits, it behaves like a particle.

What makes up this measuring device and exactly how does it interact with the system to carry out a measurement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Alchemy said:
What exactly is a measurement device and how does it carry out a measurement?

For instance, in the double slit experiment, you always hear about particle/wave duality. When it's not being measured it behaves like a wave but when a measuring device is placed by the slits, it behaves like a particle.

What makes up this measuring device and exactly how does it interact with the system to carry out a measurement?
There is no precise definition. A measurement device is anything that interacts with the system measured and allows one to read some measurement result that is sensitive to the property probed.

Likes bhobba
A. Neumaier said:
There is no precise definition. A measurement device is anything that interacts with the system measured and allows one to read some measurement result that is sensitive to the property probed.
In unitary QM, somewhat more precise definition is possible. A measurement device is anything that gets entangled with the measured system, such that the full state splits into a superposition of macroscopically distinguishable states.

Likes bhobba
Demystifier said:
In unitary QM, somewhat more precise definition is possible. A measurement device is anything that gets entangled with the measured system, such that the full state splits into a superposition of macroscopically distinguishable states.
That's not enough; this only gives a distribution of possible values.

To meaningfully talk of a measurement, the device must produce a definite, observable measurement value - i.e., move into exactly one of the macroscopically distinguishable states.

How this is possible is the content of the famous measurement problem.

A. Neumaier said:
That's not enough;
I agree, but I think that's what is shared by all interpretations of QM.

A. Neumaier said:
To meaningfully talk of a measurement, the device must produce a definite, observable measurement value - i.e., move into exactly one of the macroscopically distinguishable states.

How this is possible is the content of the famous measurement problem.
Yes, but that part depends on the interpretation.

Demystifier said:
I agree, but I think that's what is shared by all interpretations of QM.Yes, but that part depends on the interpretation.
This is the reason why there cannot be a precise specification of what a measurement device is.

Anything that leaves a mark in the macroscopic world?

EPR said:
Anything that leaves a mark in the macroscopic world?

That just pushes the vagueness from "measurement" to "macroscopic" (and "leaves a mark", too, since that's ambiguous).

Likes bhobba
A. Neumaier said:

Thanks for the response.

What type of measuring device is used in the double slit experiment and how does it interact with the system that's being measured, i.e. the electrons or photons being fired at the slits?

Also, why doesn't air molecules interact with the electrons or photons and cause a measurement to occur before the particles arrive at the slits? Why doesn't the barrier between the slits interact with the particles and cause a measurement to occur?

• Sad
Likes AlexCaledin and Motore
Quantum Alchemy said:
Also, why doesn't air molecules interact with the electrons or photons and cause a measurement to occur before the particles arrive at the slits? Why doesn't the barrier between the slits interact with the particles and cause a measurement to occur?
They interact, but the question is whether they interact enough to produce significant decoherence. Decoherence is "significant" when the full state has the form
$$\sum_a c_a|a\rangle|\phi_a\rangle$$
such that ##\langle\phi_a|\phi_{a'}\rangle\approx \delta_{aa'}##. Here ##|a\rangle## are states of the measured system (e.g. electron or photon), while ##|\phi_a\rangle## are states of the environment (e.g. air or measuring apparatus).

Demystifier said:
They interact, but the question is whether they interact enough to produce significant decoherence. Decoherence is "significant" when the full state has the form
$$\sum_a c_a|a\rangle|\phi_a\rangle$$
such that ##\langle\phi_a|\phi_{a'}\rangle\approx \delta_{aa'}##. Here ##|a\rangle## are states of the measured system (e.g. electron or photon), while ##|\phi_a\rangle## are states of the environment (e.g. air or measuring apparatus).

That makes sense.

What does the first term in the equation Ca signify? Is that just for whatever system is being measured?

Quantum Alchemy said:
What type of measuring device is used in the double slit experiment and how does it interact with the system that's being measured, i.e. the electrons or photons being fired at the slits?
A barrier with two slits and a screen. The barrier approximately bilocalizes the particles at the two slits and the screen at the point where it leaves a mark.
Quantum Alchemy said:
Photons in air are effective particles that account for the air by moving at slightly lower speed than in vacuum. For double slit experiments this can be ignored.

Since nobody has given the consistent histories account of a measurement device, and since CH is clearly the only correct interpretation of QM, I'll briefly present the account here.

A device is capable of measuring whether or not a quantum system ##s## possesses a property ##P_\epsilon## if the following is satisfied:

i) If ##s## is prepared with the property ##P_\epsilon##, it is highly likely that the measurement device, upon interaction with ##s##, will produce a record ##R_\epsilon## of the property.
ii) If ##s## is prepared without the property, ie with ##I_s-P_\epsilon##, it is highly unlikely that the measurement device, upon interaction with ##s##, will produce a record ##R_\epsilon## of the property.
iii) The record ##R_\epsilon## is a datum that can be registered by an observer, like a dial position or an audible click or a healthy cat.

Morbert said:
since CH is clearly the only correct interpretation of QM
Clearly to who?

Demystifier said:
Clearly to who?
A confession: I made that comment with tongue in cheek. I was being a delightful jester.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Clearly to who?

Please do not respond to off topic comments. You can report them if you feel the need to flag them somehow, but when a Mentor has already responded to them in the same thread, that's clearly not necessary.

Morbert said:
I made that comment with tongue in cheek. I was being a delightful jester.

First, it's a lot harder for people to realize you are jesting online, since we don't have all the nonverbal cues that normally signal a jest.

Second, unless you already have enough of a reputation as an expert in the subject that people will realize you can't possibly be serious, you should be very, very careful about making a jest that could be mistaken for a rules violation.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and Morbert
PeterDonis said:
That just pushes the vagueness from "measurement" to "macroscopic" (and "leaves a mark", too, since that's ambiguous).

Wouldn't 'leaving a mark', mean something that could reveal the forbidden knowledge, even if only in principle, like the way information is never lost, but it often is lost in every way albeit 'in principle'.

bland said:
Wouldn't 'leaving a mark', mean something that could reveal the forbidden knowledge, even if only in principle, like the way information is never lost, but it often is lost in every way albeit 'in principle'.

I have no idea. That's why I said the phrase was vague.

This thread is now closed.

1. What is a measurement device?

A measurement device is a tool or instrument used to obtain quantitative data or information about a physical quantity or property. It can be used to measure various parameters such as length, weight, temperature, pressure, and many others.

2. How does a measurement device work?

A measurement device works by using a specific mechanism or technology to detect and quantify a physical quantity. For example, a ruler uses markings or numbers to measure length, while a thermometer uses mercury or digital sensors to measure temperature.

3. What are the different types of measurement devices?

There are various types of measurement devices, including rulers, thermometers, scales, gauges, meters, and timers. These devices can be analog or digital and can measure different physical quantities such as length, temperature, weight, pressure, and time.

4. How accurate are measurement devices?

The accuracy of a measurement device depends on its design, calibration, and precision. Some devices, such as laboratory instruments, can have high accuracy, while others, like household scales, may have lower accuracy. The accuracy of a measurement device is usually expressed as a percentage or a margin of error.

5. Can measurement devices be calibrated?

Yes, measurement devices can be calibrated to ensure their accuracy and reliability. Calibration involves comparing the readings of a device to a known standard and adjusting it if necessary. This process is essential for maintaining the accuracy of measurement devices over time.