What fabric(s) can contain/spread heat?

In summary, electric blankets typically use a combination of insulated wires and fire-resistant materials such as polyester and acrylic fabrics to prevent the wires from overheating and causing burns. Refrasil is a common name for this type of material, although it may not be suitable for blankets used for sleeping due to potential lint irritation.
KrisEE
I am curious what kind of fabrics (be specific) are used in products such as heated blankets which shield the heated wires, and are resistant to the heat, preventing it from burning. I imagine the wires are simply stitched inside this material and the whole blanket isn't made up of the fire-resistant material.

Sorry if I am being a bit vague here, but I assume this is a pretty to-the-point question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Refrasil is a name that comes to mind.

(But not for blankets to sleep under, I think. Lint from this material is rather irritating between fingers...)

Last edited:
Electric blankets of the type used to heat a bed don't get very hot. This site has some construction details but says the wires are insulated with a "proprietary plastic" and then a polyester and acrylic fabric.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Electric-Blanket.html

1. What are the best fabrics for containing heat?

The best fabrics for containing heat are natural fibers such as wool, cotton, and silk. These fabrics have low thermal conductivity, meaning they do not easily transfer heat and can trap it close to the body.

2. Can synthetic fabrics contain heat?

Synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylon have higher thermal conductivity and are not as effective in containing heat as natural fibers. However, some synthetic fabrics can be treated with special coatings to improve their heat retention properties.

3. How does the thickness of a fabric affect its ability to contain heat?

The thickness of a fabric can play a role in its ability to contain heat. Thicker fabrics, such as wool and fleece, have more air pockets which act as insulation and can better trap heat. However, thicker fabrics may also be heavier and less breathable, causing discomfort in warmer temperatures.

4. Can the color of a fabric affect its ability to contain heat?

Yes, the color of a fabric can affect its ability to contain heat. Darker colors, such as black, absorb more heat and can make the fabric feel warmer. Lighter colors, like white, reflect more heat and can keep the fabric cooler.

5. Are there any special fabrics designed specifically for containing heat?

Yes, there are certain fabrics that are designed specifically for containing heat. These include thermal fabrics, which have a special weave that traps heat, and insulating fabrics, which have a layer of insulation added to the fabric to improve its heat retention properties. These fabrics are commonly used in winter clothing and outdoor gear.