What faults I have made in the following mathematical soluti

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a spring and a substance hitting it with a certain velocity. Two methods are presented, one using the equation 0.5kx^2=0.5mv^2 and the other using the equation v^2=u^2+2as, with different results. The issue of using the average value of acceleration is brought up and the person seeks a solution from the forum.
Nousher Ahmed
I didn't want solution of the following problem. When I was trying to solve the following problem, I found some difficulties that should be solved with the help of this forum.

We can consider a substance of 0.5kg. It hits a horizontal spring with a velocity of 4 m/s. As a result spring gets contracted and this contraction is 2 meter when the velocity of that substance of 0.5 kg becomes zero. We will find out spring constant.

Simply I solved in the following way:

0.5kx2=0.5mv2
Or, k (22)=0.5 (42)

Or, k=2 N/m.

Do you think that this procedure is right?
If I want to follit problem in an alternative way, I think, we might follow the following way.

v2=u2-2as

Or, 0=42-2a.2
Or, a= 4 m/s²
We know the value of accelearation, a, increases with an increase of displacement of spring from its equilibrium state. When contraction reaches to its maximum point, the value of acceleration will be maximum. And this 4 m/s² denotes the value of accelaration when spring reaches to its lowest point, i.e when contraction is 2 meter.

So we can write, when x=2, force that is generated in spring is kx. And it is equal to ma.

kx=ma
Or, 2k=(0.5).4
Or, k=1N/m.

These two methods two different valuse. What is the wrong? Please help me to get from it.

I want to mention another problem related to it. That may help you to understand what is in my mind.

Let, contraction of a spring is 4 cm.
Mass of a bullet is 10 g.
Spring constant is 200 N/m.

When bullet leaves the gun, what will be the velocity of it?

First I solved it in the following way:

0.5mv²=0.5kx²
Or, mv²=kx²
Or, v=5.6569 m/s².

But if I want to solve it in the second way, I may write:

F=kx
Or, ma=kx
Or, 0.01a=(200)(0.04)
Or, a=800 m/s.

Again we know v²=u²+2as
Or, v=8 m/s.

Which is totally different from the first method. In this case I know what the wrong is. I need to use the average value of acceleration. If we use 400m/s² instead of 800 m/s², we will get again v=5.66 m/s.

I have no problem with the second mathematical problem. I have problem with the first one, and I hope I have already cleared what my problem is.

Now I want solution from the expert of this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
I using a constant acceleration compatible with Hooke's law?

Related to What faults I have made in the following mathematical soluti

1. What are some common mistakes people make when solving math problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving math problems include not following the correct order of operations, making calculation errors, and missing key information or steps.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes in my math solutions?

To avoid mistakes in your math solutions, it is important to double check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps and formulas. You can also ask a friend or teacher to review your work for any errors.

3. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake in my math solution?

If you realize you made a mistake in your math solution, the first step is to identify where the mistake occurred. Then, you can go back and correct the mistake by reworking the problem or using the correct formula or equation.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

To improve your problem-solving skills in math, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems and their solutions. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to work through difficult problems and gain a better understanding of concepts.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me avoid mistakes in math solutions?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help you avoid mistakes in math solutions. These include calculators, online tutorials and practice problems, and textbooks or study guides. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.