What force causes a body to move into the windshield when a car suddenly stops?

In summary: However, if the car suddenly comes to a stop, the person inside would be affected by a unbalanced force which would cause them to move towards the windshield. Newton's First Law would dictate this.
Balsam

Homework Statement

This is not a specific problem, I was just wondering, what unbalanced force acts on your body when you are in a car traveling at a constant velocity and the car comes to a sudden stop? This has to do with Newton's First Law, but I'm unsure of what force applied to your body would cause it to move into the windshield if this change in accelleration would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you ask a question here in the homework section you''re obligated to make an attempt at a solution before any help can be offered. So take a shot at it and see what you can come up with.

gneill said:
If you ask a question here in the homework section you''re obligated to make an attempt at a solution before any help can be offered. So take a shot at it and see what you can come up with.

I think that the unbalanced force acts on the car- maybe it's a type of force that I haven't learned about. I'm not sure what that force is called. But, the force acts on the car and the car is able to change its velocity, but the person in the car resists it and their body ends up in the position it would've been in had they kept moving at the same constant velocity as before. That's my guess.

Balsam said:
I think that the unbalanced force acts on the car- maybe it's a type of force that I haven't learned about. I'm not sure what that force is called. But, the force acts on the car and the car is able to change its velocity, but the person in the car resists it and their body ends up in the position it would've been in had they kept moving at the same constant velocity as before. That's my guess.
That's a reasonable answer.

The force affecting the car can be due to any number of things, from friction between the tires and road, to an impact with some other object.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object will continue to stay at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What causes inertia?

Inertia is caused by mass. The more mass an object has, the greater its inertia and the more difficult it is to change its state of motion.

3. What is an unbalanced force?

An unbalanced force is a force that causes a change in an object's state of motion. It can be a single force acting in one direction, or multiple forces acting in different directions.

4. How does an unbalanced force affect an object's motion?

An unbalanced force will cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the force. This means that the object will either speed up, slow down, or change direction depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

5. How is inertia related to unbalanced forces?

Inertia and unbalanced forces are closely related. Inertia causes an object to resist changes in its state of motion, while an unbalanced force causes the object to change its state of motion. This means that the greater an object's inertia, the more force is needed to change its motion.