What Inexpensive Graphing Package Can Plot a Vector Field in Polar Coordinates?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding an inexpensive software to plot a vector field in polar coordinates and import it into a pdflatex file. Suggestions for software options include matplotlib, octave, and gnuplot, with a preference for matplotlib due to its direct export feature.
member 428835
hey pf!

i have a vector field i would like to plot. it's in polar coordinates. specifically, it's simple like $$v_\theta=r+\theta$$ and $$v_\theta=r^{-1}+\theta$$
i don't have any nice software other than the macbook GRAPHER. can anyone help me or give me advice to an inexpensive package i could use to graph this? ultimately i would like to import the graph into a pdflatex file.

thanks!

josh

Physics news on Phys.org
there must be quite a few you can use, here are some examples:
matplotlib
octave
maxima

have you used all of these? if so, which do you prefer? also, can i import them into pdflatex?

I currently use matplotlib. With matplotlib, you can export the figure directly from the figure window into various formats, I typically prefer png, which can them be included into latex.

What are the different types of graphing packages available?

There are many different types of graphing packages available, including open source options like R and Python, as well as commercial options like Tableau and Excel.

What should I consider when choosing a graphing package?

When choosing a graphing package, you should consider the type of data you have, the complexity of your analysis, the level of customization you need, and your budget.

How do I know which graphing package is best for my data?

The best graphing package for your data will depend on the type of data you have and the type of analysis you want to perform. It's important to research and test out different options to find the one that best suits your needs.

Are there any free graphing packages available?

Yes, there are many free and open source graphing packages available. Some popular options include R, Python, and Google Charts.

Can I use multiple graphing packages for my analysis?

Yes, you can use multiple graphing packages for your analysis. In fact, it can be beneficial to use different packages for different types of visualizations or to compare results from different tools.