What happened to the list of unnswered threads?

In summary,The option to choose to look at the list of unanswered threads seems to have vanished. Is this a PF problem or is my computer messed up?It's not PF.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
The option to choose to look at the list of unanswered threads seems to have vanished. Is this a PF problem or is my computer messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not PF.

Buzz Bloom said:
The option to choose to look at the list of unanswered threads seems to have vanished. Is this a PF problem or is my computer messed up?
Forums, Unanswerd Threads

:smile:

Likes Buzz Bloom
Here's what I see just now on the right side of my browser window:

unanswered.gif

berkeman said:
Seems so...

upload_2017-1-20_22-53-49.png

Likes Buzz Bloom
berkeman said:
Hi @berkeman:

On the main page which says:
Physics Forums - The Fusion of Science and Community
I cannot find any mention of "Unanswered Threads". There used to be, just a few days ago, a link at the top right along with
which said
Unanswered Threads .​
That is not there any more. When this now missing link was selected, in the yellow space at the top of the page where now appear such messages as
1. Buzz Bloom, help support this great Physics Forums community and consider upgrading to https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades today.
2. PF thrives by your sharing of our community with your friends, family and colleagues.
3. Please add a link to Physics Forums on your website/blog or share PF on social media. If you do, tell me and I'll give you Gold Membership.
4. Have a web page or blog? Consider linking to Physics Forums. Every little bit helps!
5. Visit PF Insights
Daily fascinating physics and math articles. Over 300 currently!
When the Unanswered Threads link in the upper right was selected, then a message in the yellow space would appear with a link to Unanswered Threads. When that link was selected the Unanswered Threads page would appear with the current list of these in reverse chronological order, together with how long previous the thread was created, and who created it.

I can find no way to get back to this page. I looked at this page every day to see if there was a thread for which I could offer some help.

Regard,
Buzz

jtbell said:
Here's what I see just now on the right side of my browser window:
Hi @jtbell:
I do not see what you see. What you see is
NEWEST UNANSWERED THREADS (29) .​
What I see instead is
Recent Insights .

Regards,
Buzz

OCR said:
Seems so...
Hi @OCR:
I cannot find what you displayed in your post. What did you do to get that display?

ADDED
I found it! Thanks for helping.

I am still puzzled by the sudden absence of the interface i used to use.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes OCR
I think what you are referring to are the notices. These are not meant to be permanent. They are to be read, possibly acted on and then dismissed :)

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
When this now missing link was selected, in the yellow space at the top of the page...
Are you seeing something like this, Buzz ?

upload_2017-1-21_22-42-5.png

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
I do not see what you see. What you see is
NEWEST UNANSWERED THREADS (29) .​
What I see instead is
Recent Insights .

I see the RECENT INSIGHTS box above NEWEST UNANSWERED THREADS. In my picture, you can see the bottom of that box.

Going down the right side of the screen, from top to botton, I see:

FOLLOW PHYSICS FORUMS
(social media icons)

RECENT INSIGHTS

NEWEST UNANSWERED THREADS

FEATURED DISCUSSIONS

NEW VIDEOS

MEMBERS ONLINE NOW

Likes Buzz Bloom
OCR said:
Are you seeing something like this, Buzz ?
Hi @OCR:
No. What I see is the following.
PhysicsForums main page.png

Thanks for helping,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes OCR
jtbell said:
Going down the right side of the screen, from top to botton, I see:

FOLLOW PHYSICS FORUMS
(social media icons)

RECENT INSIGHTS

NEWEST UNANSWERED THREADS
Hi @jtbell:

I see this now, but I am not sure it has always been present. However, it may have been there without my noticing it.

The interface I was always used to using before was the blue text list of links on the right below the yellow space at the top. (See my post #12.) That area used to have an "Unanswered Threads" link. When that link was selected, another "Unanswered Threads" link appeared immediately in the yellow area. Selecting this second "Unanswered Threads" link would make the list on unanswered threads appear.

Thanks for helping,
Buzz

1. What is the purpose of the list of unanswered threads on a scientific forum?

The list of unanswered threads on a scientific forum serves as a way for users to easily identify and access topics that have not yet been addressed or resolved by other members. This allows for a more efficient and effective exchange of information and ideas within the scientific community.

2. Why did the list of unanswered threads disappear from the forum?

The list of unanswered threads may have disappeared due to technical issues or updates on the forum platform. It is also possible that the forum moderators decided to remove the feature in order to improve the user experience or streamline the forum's layout.

3. How can I find unanswered threads on the forum now?

If the list of unanswered threads is no longer available, you can try using the forum's search function to look for posts with no replies. You can also browse through different categories and look for posts with zero replies or comments.

4. Will the list of unanswered threads be brought back to the forum?

This depends on the forum's administrators and their decision to either bring back the feature or keep it removed. You can reach out to the forum moderators to express your interest in having the list of unanswered threads reinstated.

5. How can I help address unanswered threads on the forum?

If you are knowledgeable in a particular scientific field, you can actively participate in the forum by providing answers or solutions to unanswered threads. You can also encourage other members to contribute by sharing the link to the thread or mentioning it in your own posts.