What happens if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of cylindrical lens?

• I
  • Thread starter Tony_Stark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
Tony_Stark
TL;DR Summary
what happens if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of cylindrical lens?
I want to know that if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of the cylindrical lens, do all light beams diverge in the same way?
Assume all light sources are lasers of having same wavelength and beam divergence
Also how extent can i minimize interference?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tony. :smile:

Tony_Stark said:
TL;DR Summary: what happens if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of cylindrical lens?

I want to know that if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of the cylindrical lens, do all light beams diverge in the same way?
Assume all light sources are lasers of having same wavelength and beam divergence
Also how extent can i minimize interference?
The better you can ask your question, the better answers you will get here. If I understand your post, light sources distributed in one direction on that plane will all act the same through the cylindrical lens. Light sources in the perpendicular direction on that plane will act very differently. So I'm probably not understanding the question. Could you please upload a diagram illustrating your question? (Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window). Thanks.

1700013610782.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-axes-and-planes-of-the-cylindrical-lens_fig3_258807960

Likes Gleb1964, Lnewqban and Bystander

1. What is a cylindrical lens?

A cylindrical lens is a type of lens that has a curved surface in one direction and a flat surface in the other. It is used to focus or shape light in a specific direction, rather than uniformly like a spherical lens.

2. What is the principle axis of a cylindrical lens?

The principle axis of a cylindrical lens is the line passing through the center of the lens and perpendicular to its curved surface. It is the axis along which light is focused or shaped by the lens.

3. What happens if I place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of a cylindrical lens?

If you place light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of a cylindrical lens, the light will be focused or shaped in the direction of the principle axis. This is because the lens is designed to manipulate light along this axis.

4. Can I place light sources on any plane perpendicular to the principle axis of a cylindrical lens?

No, the cylindrical lens is designed to manipulate light along the principle axis. Placing light sources on other planes may not produce the desired effect and could result in distorted or unfocused light.

5. How does the placement of light sources affect the performance of a cylindrical lens?

The placement of light sources on the plane perpendicular to the principle axis of a cylindrical lens is crucial to its performance. If the light sources are not aligned with the principle axis, the lens may not be able to properly focus or shape the light, resulting in a decrease in performance.