What happens if t is greater than half-life?

• Thread starter gabriellelee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the equation t = 3t1/2 was plugged in and resulted in A(t) = 0.125A0. This means that after three half-lives have passed, there will be 12.5% left of the original value. However, the short half-life compared to the counting time may make it difficult to determine the initial activity of the source.
gabriellelee
Homework Statement
What would be the difficulty in determining the activity of a source if the half-life is 1/3 shorter than the counting time,t?
Relevant Equations
A(t) = A0e^(-lambda*t)
I tried plugging into the equation t = 3t1/2 and I got A(t) = 0.125A0 since -lambda*t = - ln(2)*t/(t/3) = -ln(2)*3.
So I understand that there will be 12.5% left of the original value since three half-lives have passed.
But then I realized this won't help me answer the question much.
So I'm thinking maybe it's because since the half-life is too short compared to the counting time, the majority of the activity will come from the daughter so it will be difficult to determine the initial activity of the source.
But I'm not sure if my thought process is right. Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
gabriellelee said:
I tried plugging into the equation t = 3t1/2
Why would you plug that in?
Do you understand what "1/3 shorter" means? What time is 1/3 shorter than 12 hours?

That was a typo. I meant t=(t1/2)/3

gabriellelee said:
That was a typo. I meant t=(t1/2)/3
Still wrong. Please answer my question in post #2.

1. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay.

2. What happens if t is equal to half-life?

If t is equal to half-life, then half of the radioactive substance will have decayed.

3. What happens if t is less than half-life?

If t is less than half-life, then less than half of the radioactive substance will have decayed.

4. What happens if t is greater than half-life?

If t is greater than half-life, then more than half of the radioactive substance will have decayed.

5. How does half-life affect the decay rate of a radioactive substance?

Half-life does not affect the decay rate of a radioactive substance. The decay rate remains constant regardless of the amount of time that has passed.