Will a DC to Pulse Width Modulator work for SS Tesla Coil?

In summary, a Tesla coil needs to be a resonant oscillator to be efficient. For that reason it should be self resonant rather than driven at a fixed frequency. To make it self resonant, you can either learn EE from scratch (it is pretty near impossible to jump in half way through), or follow the detailed instructions on one of the websites, referred to earlier. A kit would be the quickest way to get a working Tesla coil.
Brian Wood
I am making a small solid state tesla coil. I have the secondary coil, toroid and primary coil but am not sure what to do for a control circuit. I was planning on using two 9 volt batteries for power. Would a DC to Pulse Width Modulator work? This is the one I was thinking of - http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/PIX/velk8004.jpg
Will this work with batteries? Also, will I need anything else?

PS- I was planning on adding a MIDI Interrupter using fiber optics later on for playing MIDI files on my tesla coil and possibly plugging in a keyboard.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
A Tesla coil needs to be a resonant oscillator to be efficient.
For that reason it should be self resonant rather than driven at a fixed frequency.

A low power TC will need to be smaller with less winding wire and so will operate at a higher frequency than normally expected. Unless you are careful it will probably generate radio interference.

So, how do I make it self resonant? I am very new and did not understand much.

There are many many tesla coil sites on line that specialize in explaining the operation and different approaches. One you have reviewed those, you should come back and ask specific questions.

I think you can use PWM to excite the resonant circuits and control the frequency of the sound.

Can you just tell me if I need the part or not for what I am doing? I don't really understand the self resonant thing and when looking up how to make a sstc, it always says to use a control circuit.

Brian Wood said:
Can you just tell me if I need the part or not for what I am doing?
Not required.
First make your coil and find out how little power it needs to produce the required result. Then select a low power exciter.

Google; ' low power tesla coil '

Brian Wood said:
So, how do I make it self resonant? I am very new and did not understand much.
If that is your position, I would say you have two alternatives. Either you can learn EE from scratch (it is pretty near impossible to jump in half way through). Perhaps with an 'amateur constructor's' approach, starting with building simple circuits and then working up to where you want to be. That could take less time than a formal approach to get where you want. Or you could follow the detailed instructions on one of the websites, referred to earlier (or even buy a kit).
A kit would be the quickest way to get a working Tesla coil.

Can you guys recommend some control circuits or whatever will work. I am looking for one that is on the cheap side like u dear $50 but still good quality. Another option I saw is that there is a TeslaTronix kit for $40 for a SSTC. Would the control circuit in that be good? Would it contain everything I need?
http://www.teslatronix.com/single-kits/

Last edited:
You are way better off going for a kit than trying to engineer one for yourself.
Ask yourself why you want to build a Tesla Coil. Google ' Tesla Coil ' and you will get the information you need.
It seems pointless to ask on a general forum when there is so much specific Tesla Coil data out there on other sites.
Do you really need to run a TC from a couple of 9V cells or are you intending to make a handheld weapon?

1. How does a DC to Pulse Width Modulator work for SS Tesla Coil?

A DC to Pulse Width Modulator works by converting a direct current (DC) input signal into a pulsed output signal. This is achieved by using a switching circuit that rapidly turns the input signal on and off, creating a series of pulses with varying widths. These pulses are then amplified and used to power the Tesla coil, which produces high-frequency oscillations and electromagnetic fields.

2. What are the advantages of using a DC to Pulse Width Modulator for SS Tesla Coil?

The main advantage of using a DC to Pulse Width Modulator for SS Tesla Coil is its ability to regulate the output power. By adjusting the pulse width, the modulator can control the amount of power delivered to the Tesla coil, allowing for more efficient operation and reducing the risk of damaging the coil. It also allows for precise tuning of the coil's resonant frequency, which is crucial for achieving optimal performance.

3. Can any DC to Pulse Width Modulator be used for SS Tesla Coil?

No, not all DC to Pulse Width Modulators are suitable for use with SS Tesla Coils. The modulator must be capable of producing high-frequency pulses in the range of tens to hundreds of kilohertz, which is the frequency range of most Tesla coils. It should also have a high enough power output to supply the Tesla coil with the necessary energy to produce the desired electrical discharges.

4. How do I choose the right DC to Pulse Width Modulator for my SS Tesla Coil?

When choosing a DC to Pulse Width Modulator for your SS Tesla Coil, there are a few factors to consider. These include the modulator's frequency range and power output, as well as its compatibility with your specific Tesla coil design. It is also important to ensure that the modulator has built-in protection features to prevent damage to the coil and other components.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DC to Pulse Width Modulator for SS Tesla Coil?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be taken when using a DC to Pulse Width Modulator for SS Tesla Coil. As with any high-voltage experiment, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear. It is also recommended to have a thorough understanding of the modulator's specifications and operation before use. Additionally, make sure to disconnect power and discharge the Tesla coil before making any adjustments or handling the equipment.