What happens in a short circuit situation (parallel)?

In summary: However, in the drawing, the short-circuit branch appears to be in addition to the 4 Ω resistor, so your explanation does not fit.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What will be the current flowing theoretically through each resistor this short-circuit case?

short_circuit.png

Homework Equations

[tex]V=IR[/tex]
[tex]I=V/R[/tex]
[tex]R_{T}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_{1}}+\frac{1}{R_{2}}+...\frac{1}{R_{N}}}[/tex]
For a closed loop, [itex]\sum I_{entering}=\sum I_{leaving}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer: The current through each resistor will be effectively zero. This is because a practically resistance-free path exists (the short circuit) through which essentially all of the current will flow.

The professor's response: Theoretically, the current through the 4-ohm resistor is infinite.

I disagree. How can the current through any of the resistors (4Ω, 6Ω, or 12Ω) be anything other than ~0 A when the current will seek the path of least resistance (the short circuit)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 4-ohm resistor short circuits, thus making its resistance zero, from ohm's law.

I = v/r, since r is 0, I is infinity.

JJBladester said:
The professor's response: Theoretically, the current through the 4-ohm resistor is infinite.
I doubt that your professor would have said precisely that. He probably said that the current through branch 1 would theoretically be infinite.

There will be zero current through all resistors, R1, R2, and R3. There is no current through them because all of the current is going through the short circuit which I understand has been placed in parallel to R1. Although all of the current that the source can supply will go through the short circuit, it of course won't be infinite because no practical source will be able to maintain its output at 2 volts regardless of the load, not right down to short-circuit conditions.

Perhaps your professor meant that all of the current flowed through R1because R1 was accidently set to 0 ohms? If that's the case, then it is no longer correct to refer to R1 as the "4 ohm resistor". :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
I doubt that your professor would have said precisely that.

Oh, but he did!

I presume he was talking about the "four ohm resistor" after the short circuit when would no longer be "four ohm". Still calling it a "four ohm resistor" is misleading but the concept is correct. (And "theoretically" is important- there will be some resistance in the wires which would keep the currant from being "infinite".)

HallsofIvy said:
...and "theoretically" is important- there will be some resistance in the wires which would keep the current from being "infinite".

Also, the current cannot be infinite because the battery cannot push out an infinite number of electrons.

But yes, HallsofIvy, I agree that you cannot call the 4 Ω resistor as such after the short circuit. That's what really confused me.

I responded to the professor as follows:

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your drawing. That is the only explanation I can come up with that would make sense. If the short-circuit branch in Case C is not in addition to, but rather a replacement for the normally-operating 4 Ω resistor, then your explanation makes sense.

Related to What happens in a short circuit situation (parallel)?

1. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit, causing a high amount of current flow and potentially damaging the circuit.

2. How does a short circuit happen in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, each component has its own separate path for current flow. A short circuit can occur when there is a fault in one of the components, causing a direct connection between the positive and negative terminals, bypassing the resistances of the other components.

3. What are the dangers of a short circuit in a parallel circuit?

A short circuit can cause excessive heat and current flow, potentially leading to overheating, melting or burning of wires and components. It can also damage sensitive electronic devices and pose a fire hazard.

4. How can a short circuit be prevented in a parallel circuit?

To prevent short circuits in a parallel circuit, it is important to use properly rated components, avoid overloading the circuit, and make sure all connections are secure and insulated. Fuses and circuit breakers can also be used to protect against short circuits.

5. How is a short circuit detected in a parallel circuit?

A short circuit can be detected by measuring the current flow in the circuit using a multimeter, and comparing it to the expected values. Visual inspection of the circuit for any damaged or burnt components can also indicate a short circuit.