What happens when a battery is connected to an ideal LC circuit?

In summary, the discussion focused on the time domain unit step response of an ideal series LC circuit with an uncharged capacitor and inductor. It was concluded that when a battery is connected at t=t1, the circuit will oscillate indefinitely with amplitude I=V/√(L/C) and angular frequency ω=1/√(LC). The voltage on the capacitor will oscillate between 0 and 2V, and the inductor current will reach a maximum when the capacitor voltage reaches the step voltage. The process is difficult to explain without math, but can be understood by considering conservation of energy.
k_rlc
Hi All ,

I was thinking about the time domain unit step response of ideal series LC crcuit. If both cap and inductor are ideal and unchrged initially and I am looking at voltage across capacitor.
Connecting a battery to LC circuit at t=t1 , would the circuit oscillate ?
I am not able to imagine this situation in terms of current and voltages of inductor /capacitor.I would be greatful if someone could intutively expain (without math and analogies) what exactly would happen.
My another question is, in case of underdamped response of RLC . I am again not able to think what causes the ringing behaviour with respect to inductor / capacitor current and voltage.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If an ideal DC battery gets connected to ideal de-energized LC circuit, transient is an ideal sine current. Sinnce there's no damping, it will oscillate forever with amplitude I=V/√(L/C) and angular frequency ω=1/√(LC). Voltage on the capacitor will oscillate between 0 and 2V. The process is hard to explain without any math becouse this is the result obtained from solving differential equation.

A voltage step applied to an LC series pair will initially appear across the inductor. As current starts to build up through the inductor, (because VL = L * di/dt), the voltage across the capacitor will begin to ramp up. The inductor current will reach a maximum when the capacitor voltage reaches the step voltage, where the inductor voltage passes through zero. The capacitor voltage will overshoot and the cycle will reverse and repeat. The LC pair will ring at the resonant frequency, (at which XL + XC = zero), and because the circuit resistance is zero, it will continue ring forever.

zoki85 said:
If an ideal DC battery gets connected to ideal de-energized LC circuit, transient is an ideal sine current. Sinnce there's no damping, it will oscillate forever with amplitude I=V/√(L/C) and angular frequency ω=1/√(LC). Voltage on the capacitor will oscillate between 0 and 2V. The process is hard to explain without any math becouse this is the result obtained from solving differential equation.

Baluncore said:
A voltage step applied to an LC series pair will initially appear across the inductor. As current starts to build up through the inductor, (because VL = L * di/dt), the voltage across the capacitor will begin to ramp up. The inductor current will reach a maximum when the capacitor voltage reaches the step voltage, where the inductor voltage passes through zero. The capacitor voltage will overshoot and the cycle will reverse and repeat. The LC pair will ring at the resonant frequency, (at which XL + XC = zero), and because the circuit resistance is zero, it will continue ring forever.

Thanks Zoki85

Thanks Baluncore. I had also thought on the same lines. However , one question that was challenging my thought process was that when capacitor charges to step voltage then there should will not be any current flowing in inductor so there should not be any overshoot. Hence , I was confused . Let me know if you have any explanation.

k_rlc said:
I am not able to imagine this situation in terms of current and voltages of inductor /capacitor.I would be greatful if someone could intutively expain (without math and analogies) what exactly would happen.
Why do you insist on tying your hands behind your back?

When voltage appears across the capacitor it stores energy, simply EC = ½ C V2
When current flows through the inductor it stores energy, simply EL = ½ L I2

Conservation of energy requires that when the capacitor voltage is zero, the inductor current must be at a maximum. Likewise, when the inductor current is zero the capacitor voltage must be at a maximum.

Rather than considering a voltage step applied to an LC series pair, consider the parallel connection of an open circuit inductor with a charged capacitor. The energy flows from the capacitor to the inductor until the capacitor reaches zero voltage, when all the energy is stored in the inductor at maximum current. The energy then passes from the inductor to the capacitor until the capacitor voltage is the negative of it's starting voltage, when the inductor current has fallen again zero. At that point half a cycle has occurred. In effect the capacitor voltage has been reversed. It will reverse again to return the initial situation.

Thanks a lot baluncore for all the explanations

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electric circuit that contains an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit, as it can store and release energy at a specific resonant frequency.

2. What is the step response of an LC circuit?

The step response of an LC circuit refers to the behavior of the circuit after a sudden change or "step" in the input voltage or current. This change causes the circuit to oscillate at its resonant frequency, and the response can be observed as a decaying sinusoidal waveform.

3. What factors affect the step response of an LC circuit?

The step response of an LC circuit is affected by the values of the inductance and capacitance, as well as the initial charge or energy stored in the circuit. The type of input signal and the circuit's resistance also play a role in the step response.

4. How does the step response of an LC circuit differ from other types of circuits?

The step response of an LC circuit differs from other types of circuits due to its ability to resonate at a specific frequency. This means that the amplitude and phase of the response can be controlled by the values of the inductance and capacitance, making it useful for filtering and frequency selection applications.

5. What are some practical applications of studying the step response of LC circuits?

The step response of LC circuits is important in various practical applications, such as radio and television broadcasting, signal processing, and electronic filters. It is also used in the design of electronic components and systems, such as amplifiers, oscillators, and transmitters.