What Happens When AC Is Applied to a Capacitor?

In summary, when AC is applied to a capacitor, the capacitor charges during the positive half cycle and discharges during the negative half cycle. This behavior is similar to the voltage, which also goes up and down together. The current in sinusoidal AC is always 90° ahead of the voltage.
skylines
what happens if AC is applied to a capacitor?

I am able to understand that ,For 1st half of the cycle,i.e for +ve cycle, during the voltage rise from v0 to vpeak, the capacitor charges, and during the voltage drop from vpeak to v1 the capacitor discharges.Let me know if this is true.

I assume
v0 as the intial voltage at an angle 0
vpeak as the highet voltage at an angle 90
v1 as the voltage at an angle 180 i.e voltage at the end of the +ve half cycle.

And also let me know what happens during -ve half cycle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi skylines! welcome to pf! :smile:

the charge of a capacitor behaves the same as the voltage …

they go up and down exactly together (whether it's AC or not)

since current is the derivative of charge, current in sinusoidal AC is always 90° ahead of voltage :wink:

Related to What Happens When AC Is Applied to a Capacitor?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does AC affect a capacitor?

When an alternating current (AC) is applied to a capacitor, the electric field between the plates constantly changes direction. This causes the charge on the plates to also change, resulting in a flow of current back and forth between the plates.

3. What happens to the charge on a capacitor when AC is applied?

The charge on a capacitor is constantly changing when AC is applied. As the electric field between the plates changes direction, the charge on the plates also changes, resulting in an alternating flow of current between the plates.

4. Can a capacitor store AC?

Yes, a capacitor can store AC. As the electric field between the plates changes direction, the capacitor is able to store and release energy, resulting in an alternating flow of current.

5. What is the phase relationship between the voltage and current in a capacitor when AC is applied?

The voltage and current in a capacitor are out of phase when AC is applied. This means that the voltage and current reach their maximum and minimum values at different times. The current lags behind the voltage by 90 degrees in a capacitor.