What happens when the switch is closed in a 555 timer and left there?

In summary, the waveform you're seeing is the output of the timer after the trigger switch has been closed once. The capacitor doesn't have time to charge, so when it tries to trip, it's forced to go back immediately.
Solarmew
Here's my circuit
pic1.JPG

The question at hand is what happens when the trigger switch is closed during the timing cycle (after being closed once already to initiate said cycle)

here's the waveform I'm getting, but I'm not sure what to make of it.
pic2.JPG

could someone please help me understand what it's doing?

Engineering news on Phys.org

is it because the capacitor doesn't have time to charge, so when it tries to trip, it's forced to go back immediately?

10K X 100 uf = 1 second time constant.
You're showing a pulse every 14 microseconds.

I'd guess C1 is more like 100 picofarads.
Have you a photo of it, or is this a simulation?

Try bypassing the supply with a few uf physically near the 555... that's always good practice because 555 takes a gulp of current when it switches.

old jim

this is just a simulation, i didn't get a chance to do this on a breadboard because we ran out of time :< but i wanted to see what happens if i do it in MultiSim ... and this is what happens (see pic of the waveform) ... and i have no idea why

From the Phillips datasheet available here,
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/pdf_files/555an.pdf

Trigger Requirements
Due to the nature of the trigger circuitry, the timer will trigger on the
negative-going edge of the input pulse. For the device to time-out
properly, it is necessary that the trigger voltage level be returned to
some voltage greater than one third of the supply before the timeout
period. This can be achieved by making either the trigger pulse
sufficiently short or by AC coupling into the trigger. By AC coupling
the trigger (see Figure 3), a short negative-going pulse is achieved
when the trigger signal goes to ground. AC coupling is most
frequently used in conjunction with a switch or a signal that goes to
ground which initiates the timing cycle. Should the trigger be held
low, without AC coupling, for a longer duration than the timing cycle
the output will remain in a high state for the duration of the low
trigger signal, without regard to the threshold comparator state.
This
is due to the predominance of Q15 on the base of Q16, controlling
the state of the bistable flip-flop. When the trigger signal then returns
to a high level, the output will fall immediately. Thus, the output
signal will follow the trigger signal in this case.

I don't trust that simulation.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't scrutinized the operation in question here. But I can point out that not all 555's are the same. For input combinations outside those encountered in the timer's myriad designed applications, chips from different manufacturers can and do behave consistently differently.

So for configurations outside the norm, you may find yourself confined to using a particular manufacturer's 555 to provide the i/p o/p characteristic you want.

1. What is a 555 timer?

The 555 timer is an integrated circuit commonly used in electronic devices as a timing element. It consists of a combination of resistors, capacitors, and transistors that can be configured to generate precise and stable signals.

2. What happens when the switch is closed in a 555 timer?

When the switch is closed in a 555 timer, it completes the circuit and allows the flow of current through the circuit. This triggers the timer to start counting and generating an output signal based on the configured timing components.

3. How does a 555 timer work?

A 555 timer works by using an internal comparator to compare the voltage levels at two different points in the circuit. When the voltage at the first point (known as the threshold) reaches 2/3 of the supply voltage, the output is switched off. When the voltage at the second point (known as the trigger) reaches 1/3 of the supply voltage, the output is switched on. This creates a continuous cycle of on and off states, generating a square wave output.

4. Can I leave the switch closed in a 555 timer?

Yes, you can leave the switch closed in a 555 timer. This will keep the circuit in a continuous loop, generating the output signal at a constant frequency determined by the timing components. However, it is important to note that this can cause the timer to overheat if left for extended periods of time.

5. How can I change the frequency of the output signal in a 555 timer?

The frequency of the output signal in a 555 timer can be changed by adjusting the timing components, specifically the resistor and capacitor values. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time period for the output signal, thus decreasing the frequency. Similarly, a lower resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time period and a higher frequency output signal.