What integrated circuits, etc. for an amateur?

In summary, the individual is interested in learning about various electronic components that operate within a maximum of 18 V and do not involve AC. They are seeking recommendations for integrated circuits to experiment with, including comparators, opamps, voltage regulators, voltage stabilizers, optocouplers, CMOS, TTL, A-D and D-A converters, microprocessors, temperature sensors, timers, and quartz crystals. The individual mentions that they work mostly within the 3.3 to 12 volt range and lists some components they have used in the past. They suggest researching data sheets for more information on these components and mention the importance of choosing between CMOS and TTL for design and build purposes. They also recommend starting with beginner circuits such as a
trickybilly
I work with max. 18 V, hobby. Don´t want to mess around with AC. Which integrated circuits to buy to learn/ experiment with:
-comparator
-opamp
-voltage regulators
-voltage stabilizers
-optocopler
-CMOS
-TTL
-A-D, D-A converters
-microprocessors
-temperature sensors
-timer
-quartz crystal
I am learning what these are. It would be good to know which fall in that range and approximately what specifications to buy.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi I cannot define exact parts because that is project specific . I can help you with a partial list of parts that I use. I work mostly in the 3.3 to 12 volt range in my projects.
Metal film resistors
Various types of capacitors
Lm339 quad comparator
Lm324, lm358 op amp
Ln380 audio power amp
Particle Photon (contains A/D and D/A functions)
74HC logic parts
555/556 timer
Various NPN / PNP transistors
Ltv837c,?4n25 opto coupler

If you google the items you are looking for you will find there are data sheets out there. For example, type "optocoupler data sheet" without the double quotes will get you information on these parts. Good luck

Last edited:
If I read your question right I think your first choice needs to be whether you will design and build in CMOS or TTL. The supply voltage range for each can be very different. As can clock speeds and logic voltage levels.

Both a 555 timer circuit and a simple Op Amp were good beginner circuits for me.

Likes trickybilly

1. What are integrated circuits?

Integrated circuits (ICs) are small electronic devices made from a semiconductor material, typically silicon. They contain multiple interconnected electronic components, such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors, all etched onto a single chip. ICs are used in almost all electronic devices, from computers and smartphones to cars and appliances.

2. How are integrated circuits made?

Integrated circuits are made through a complex process called semiconductor fabrication. It involves several steps, including creating a pure silicon crystal, doping the crystal with impurities to create different layers of conductivity, and etching the circuit patterns onto the silicon wafer using photolithography. The finished chips are then cut, packaged, and tested before being used in electronic devices.

3. Can I make my own integrated circuits as an amateur?

It is possible for amateurs to make their own integrated circuits, but it requires specialized equipment, materials, and expertise. Semiconductor fabrication is a highly controlled and precise process, and any slight error can result in a non-functional chip. Therefore, it is not a common hobby for amateurs, but there are resources and DIY kits available for those interested in attempting it.

4. What are some common uses of integrated circuits for amateurs?

Amateurs can use integrated circuits for a variety of purposes, such as building electronic projects and prototypes, creating custom circuits for specific applications, and repairing or modifying existing devices. Some popular uses for amateurs include building audio amplifiers, LED displays, and microcontrollers for robotics and home automation.

5. How do I choose the right integrated circuits for my project?

Choosing the right integrated circuits for a project involves considering factors such as the required functionality, power and voltage requirements, size and form factor, and cost. It is also important to carefully read the datasheet for the IC to understand its specifications and limitations. Additionally, researching and comparing different ICs can help in finding the most suitable one for a specific project.