Question on basic circuit analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for solving an RL circuit, with two different images being referenced. The speaker initially combines resistors in series and parallel, but the correct method is to transform the voltage source into a current source and combine resistors in parallel. The speaker also mentions finding the currents and voltage in the circuit at t=0. They also mention using voltage divider and KCL to solve the circuit. Finally, they express concern about using the correct method and the potential consequences of not doing so.
dect117
Homework Statement
See attachment "image2"
Relevant Equations
V=IR
My initial attempt had me combining the 40 and 20 ohm resistors in series, then combining the result with the 120 ohm resistor in parallel (top).

However, this was incorrect. According to my answering guide, the correct method was to transform the voltage source into a current source, then combine the 10 and 120 ohm resistors in parallel. Finally, you're supposed to add the 60 ohm equivalent resistor at the end after reverting the current source back to a voltage source (bottom), which would end up dropping by 1 volt.

This seems confusing and counter to every other circuit I've analyzed this semester. Can someone explain to me what's going on here?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 330
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
Your steps in image 1 are all correct. But what exactly are you being asked to determine—what is the problem statement in words?

Likes FactChecker
You seem to be talking about two different problems and diagrams. I don't see how they can be related.

And I don't agree with the calculations in the bottom row of image1. All three resisters are in parallel and are equivalent to a single 8-ohm resistor.

NascentOxygen said:
Your steps in image 1 are all correct. But what exactly are you being asked to determine—what is the problem statement in words?
FactChecker said:
You seem to be talking about two different problems and diagrams. I don't see how they can be related.

And I don't agree with the calculations in the bottom row of image1. All three resisters are in parallel and are equivalent to a single 8-ohm resistor.

Technically, I'm supposed to solve an RL circuit. I went ahead and drew the circuit with the inductor and switch (image3). Currently, I'm stuck on the first part: find the currents IL, IO, and the voltage across the inductor at t=0. However, at t=0, the inductor shorts and the wire with the switch effectively isn't there since the switch is open, hence my drawing in image2.

The answers I got for IL, IO, and VL are 160mA, 0A, and 0V, respectively. Those are the correct answers.

I got 160mA for ILby using voltage divider, which gave me the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor, 2.4V, and the current being supplied to the circuit, 240mA. Using KCL, I got the following equations:
$$i=i_1 + i_2$$
$$12=10i + 120i_1$$
$$120i_1=60i_2$$
$$60i_2=12-10(.24)$$
$$i_2=I_L=\frac {9.6} {60}=.16$$
Technically using the bottom method in image1 works, but it doesn't seem right to me. I'm also worried that if I don't use the right method, even if I get the correct answer I'll get points docked on my next test.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
So you are required to find the current through the 60Ω resistor. This will not be equal to the current through the 50Ω resistance, but it will be a proportion of it. The current in the 50Ω represents the current drawn from the battery, and comprises that in the 60Ω plus that in the 120Ω.

1. What is basic circuit analysis?

Basic circuit analysis is the process of using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and understand the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves studying the flow of current, voltage, and resistance within a circuit to determine its characteristics and performance.

2. What are the fundamental laws and principles used in circuit analysis?

The fundamental laws and principles used in circuit analysis include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the principle of conservation of energy. These laws and principles help to explain the relationships between voltage, current, resistance, and power in a circuit.

3. How do you analyze a circuit?

To analyze a circuit, you can follow a systematic approach that involves identifying the components and their values, drawing a schematic diagram, applying the relevant laws and principles, and solving the equations to determine the values of voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit.

4. What are the different types of circuits?

The different types of circuits include series circuits, parallel circuits, and combination circuits. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. A combination circuit contains elements of both series and parallel circuits.

5. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it helps us to understand how electrical circuits work and how to design and troubleshoot them. It is also essential in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems.