What is difference between EM wave and EM field?

In summary, according to classical electromagnetism, an EM wave is just a time-varying EM-field, while in relativistic quantum field theory, the wave function of a photon is a single-photon Fock state.
fxdung
They say wave function is different to quantum field. Then what is the difference between EM wave and EM field?(By the way :Is that EM wave the wave function of photons?).It seem to me EM wave is the wave of EM field?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the EM field is static, like around a stationary electric charge, then it's definitely not something you'd call a "wave". And a time-evolving EM field can be seen either as a single object or several sine-form waves of different wavelengths added together. That allows determination of the spectrum of EM radiation, i.e. how much of each wavelength is contained in the field measured by some device. This doesn't have anything to do with quantum mechanics, yet.

The term "wave function" is a bit misleading, because the time-dependent Schrödinger equation is not an actual wave equation like that describing the propagation of an EM wave in vacuum. Its solutions just have some wave-like properties because it's a diffusion equation with complex multipliers.

fxdung said:
It seem to me EM wave is the wave of EM field?
That's correct.

Then what is the wave function of photons?

fxdung said:

The time dependent Schrödinger equation describes a non-relativistic massive particle and its wave function. A photon has no mass and always moves at speed of light so it can't be that.

fxdung said:
They say wave function is different to quantum field. Then what is the difference between EM wave and EM field?(By the way :Is that EM wave the wave function of photons?).It seem to me EM wave is the wave of EM field?
That question is a complete muddle of terminology from different theories: non-relativistic QM, classical EM, QFT, QED.

What are we talking about here?

Likes mattt and Delta2
fxdung said:
Then what is the difference between EM wave and EM field?
As @PeroK very successfully said you are mixing up different theories of physics. My answer would be within the theory of classical electromagnetism:
From Maxwell's equations which are the cornerstones of classical electromagnetism, we can infer that the electric and magnetic fields when they are time varying they obey the wave equation (see Inhomogeneous electromagnetic wave equation - Wikipedia ), therefore we can simply say that an EM wave is nothing more than a time varying EM-field.

What about in stand point of QFT?

fxdung said:
@vanhees71 will tell you that there is no wave function of the photon. I will tell you that it is the Fourier transform of the 1-photon probability amplitude in the momentum space.

Define "1-photon probability amplitude in the momentum space"!

Likes Delta2
vanhees71 said:
Define "1-photon probability amplitude in the momentum space"!
The most general 1-photon state can be written in the form
$$|\psi\rangle=\sum_{\lambda=1}^2 \int d^3k \, c_{\lambda}(k)\hat{a}_{\lambda}^{\dagger}(k)|0\rangle$$
where ##c_{\lambda}(k)## is an arbitrary function normalized so that ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle=1##. The usual Born rule implies that ##c_{\lambda}(k)## is the 1-photon probability amplitude in the momentum space.

Likes Delta2
Fine, and the Fourier transform is also fine, but that's not a "wave function" of a photon but a single-photon Fock state. I think to talk about "wave functions" in relativistic QT is misleading. You run in all kinds of trouble as the founding fathers of relativistic QM. I'd not recommend to study a textbook like Bjorken and Drell vol. 1 for students of the 21st century, when learning about relativistic QT but start right away in the formulation in terms of relativistic QFT.

vanhees71 said:
but that's not a "wave function"
Well, it's a function and it's wavy. :-p

• Haha
Likes Imager and vanhees71

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM wave, or electromagnetic wave, is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These waves are created by the movement of charged particles and can travel through a vacuum.

2. What is an EM field?

An EM field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental part of electromagnetism and is responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

3. What is the main difference between EM waves and EM fields?

The main difference between EM waves and EM fields is that EM waves are a form of energy that can travel through space, while EM fields are a physical field that is present in space. EM waves are a result of the oscillation of EM fields, but they are not the same thing.

4. How are EM waves and EM fields related?

EM waves and EM fields are closely related, as EM waves are a result of the oscillation of EM fields. EM waves are created when charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated and create changes in the EM field. These changes then propagate through space as EM waves.

5. Can EM waves exist without an EM field?

No, EM waves cannot exist without an EM field. As mentioned before, EM waves are a result of the oscillation of EM fields. Without the presence of an EM field, there would be no energy to create EM waves. Additionally, EM waves can also affect and alter the EM field they are passing through.