What is Energy Stored in Space?

In summary, space can be thought of as a fluid with gravitational waves and photons as its waves and particles.
Chris Nimmons
TLDR I have no idea what I am talking about . Read this if you're bored.

I now realize I may have the wrong category. Please let me know what category would be best for my question. Thanks.

Can energy be stored in space itself?

With the equation e = mc^2 if we set the constant to c=1 then e=m. The speed of light is arbitrary in my understanding.

To me that means energy is the same thing as mass. With the new experiment of creation of electrons using photons does that mean that space is an energy storage mechanism? Are photons just a manifestation of space vibrating?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chris Nimmons said:
Can energy be stored in space itself?
No, energy is a property of stuff. Space itself is not stuff, it is just geometry.

To me that means energy is the same thing as mass.
there is an equivalence, yes.

With the new experiment of creation of electrons using photons does that mean that space is an energy storage mechanism?
No, you can't "store energy" in geometry
Are photons just a manifestation of space vibrating?
I don't even know what that might mean. Geometry doesn't vibrate.

Likes Dale and Chris Nimmons
What does geometry mean to you? A predictable point system in space? Can you link me an article on the geometry meaning you are referring to? I am just uneducated to the point you are phinds. Thank you for responding.

Chris Nimmons said:
What does geometry mean to you? A predictable point system in space? Can you link me an article on the geometry meaning you are referring to? I am just uneducated to the point you are phinds. Thank you for responding.
Google "metric expansion". I also recommend the link in my signature.

When I look on the world I don't see particles any more. I see density of space. Space acts similar to a fluid. It moves with gravitational waves just as it does electromagnetic photons. They are one in the same. Gravity is the pull of space inward and photons are the vibration of space outward. Its all just space. There are waves in space, there are reversals of space (particles) and there are movements of space, dark energy. The speed of light is the speed at which a wave can propogate through space.

This is probably wrong but it seems to fit the bill. This is only my experience.

Thanks phinds for the link. Ill check it out. I appreciate it.

And just to add a point that may make me seem even crazier. It seems to me that conciousness may be a property of space. Everything made of space and even matter may be conscious to some point. We (humans) just have the ability to move and show conciousness. Its a different thought and may be a crazy thought but it seems to make sense in this crazy world. I just wanted to write this down in case its true.

Chris Nimmons said:
When I look on the world I don't see particles any more. I see density of space.
You will not find that to be a helpful point of view
Space acts similar to a fluid. It moves with gravitational waves just as it does electromagnetic photons.
No, space does not act like a fluid. Gravitational waves distort space-time but that doesn't mean space acts like a fluid
They are one in the same.
No, they are not.
Gravity is the pull of space inward and photons are the vibration of space outward.
This is just word salad.
This is probably wrong but it seems to fit the bill. This is only my experience.
No, it is your OPINION, not something you have experienced.

By the way, you might want to read the forum rules. Specifically the one about personal theories.

Likes DrClaude and Chris Nimmons
Sorry phinds. I didnt mean to spread misinformation. Ill put a thing at the top tldr. That was not my intent. Sorry to waste your time. Thanks for responding.

On that note, thread closed.

1. What is energy stored in space?

Energy stored in space refers to the potential energy that exists in the vacuum of space. This energy can take various forms, such as gravitational potential energy, electromagnetic potential energy, and dark energy.

2. How is energy stored in space?

Energy is stored in space through various mechanisms. For example, the gravitational potential energy of an object depends on its mass and its distance from other objects with mass. Electromagnetic potential energy is stored in the electric and magnetic fields that permeate space, while dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that may be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. What is the significance of energy stored in space?

The energy stored in space has significant implications for the behavior and evolution of the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, the motion of celestial bodies, and the expansion of the universe. Understanding how this energy is stored and how it interacts with matter is crucial for our understanding of the universe.

4. Can energy be extracted from space?

While energy is stored in space, it is not currently possible to extract it and use it as a source of power. The energy is spread out over vast distances and is not easily accessible. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring ways to harness and utilize this energy in the future.

5. How does the concept of energy stored in space relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is essential for understanding the concept of energy stored in space. The theory explains how mass and energy are interchangeable, and how they interact with the fabric of space-time. It also provides the framework for understanding the behavior of energy in the universe, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the effects of gravity on space and time.