What is fx(0,1) in Partial Differentiation for f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y)?

In summary, the given function is f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y) and the task is to find the value of fx(0,1). After using the chain rule and treating y as a constant, the correct answer is 0, not 1.
Mitchtwitchita
f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y), then fx(0,1) = ?

fx = 4xye^(x^2y)
=4(0)(1)e^(0)(1)
=e^0
=1?

I'm told that I'm getting this question wrong but don't know how. Can anybody please help show me what I'm doing wrong on this one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are doing partial differentiation with respect to x, so you can treat y as a constant.

It's just simply using the chain rule and [itex](e^x)' = e^x[/itex].

If you do that correctly you should get up to [itex] 2 \cdot ( 2y \cdot x^{2y-1} ) \exp (x^{2y})[/itex].

The x term is a nice fat zero, giving the final result of 0.

Crap! I see now. Thanks Gib.

Mitchtwitchita said:
f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y), then fx(0,1) = ?

fx = 4xye^(x^2y)
=4(0)(1)e^(0)(1)
=e^0
=1?

I'm told that I'm getting this question wrong but don't know how. Can anybody please help show me what I'm doing wrong on this one?
Is that
[tex]2e^{x^{2y}}[/tex]
as Gib Z assumed or
[tex]2e^{x^2y}[/tex]
which is what I would assume?
If it is the latter then
[tex]f_x= 4xye^{x^2y}[/tex]
as you have. Then [itex]f_x(0,1)= 4(0)(1)e^{(0)(1)}= 0[/itex], not 1, because of the "0" multiplying the exponential.

Damn i just realized that :( Looking at his working it looks like you're right Halls =] Sorry guys.

It was the latter. But I realized what I was doing wrong from Gib's reply. Thanks guys!

Related to What is fx(0,1) in Partial Differentiation for f(x,y)=2e^(x^2y)?

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. It is used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes in response to small changes in its input variables.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation deals with finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable. Partial differentiation, on the other hand, deals with finding the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. This allows us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in a specific input variable, while keeping other variables fixed.

3. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation used for partial differentiation is similar to ordinary differentiation, but with the addition of subscripts. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x is written as ∂f/∂x (read as "partial f partial x"). The symbol ∂ (called "partial") is used to denote partial differentiation, and the subscript indicates which variable we are differentiating with respect to.

4. What is the chain rule for partial differentiation?

The chain rule for partial differentiation is used to find the derivative of a composite function involving multiple variables. It states that the partial derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of each individual function, multiplied by the chain rule term. This can be written as ∂z/∂x = (∂z/∂u)(∂u/∂x), where z is a function of u and u is a function of x.

5. How is partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to analyze relationships between multiple variables. It helps in understanding how a change in one variable affects the outcome of a system or process. For example, in economics, partial differentiation is used to analyze the impact of changes in input variables (such as price and demand) on the output of a production function.