What is Hartree-Fock Theory and How Can I Understand It?

• Thread starter compchemrulez
  • Start date
In summary, Hartree-Fock theory is a mathematical approach used to solve the Schrödinger equation and calculate the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. It involves approximating the complex many-body problem of interacting electrons by considering each electron as moving in an average field created by all the other electrons. This theory provides a useful framework for understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules and has been a fundamental tool in quantum chemistry. To better understand Hartree-Fock theory, it is important to have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts such as wavefunctions, operators, and energy levels.
compchemrulez
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hello all, I am a mature student who only found out about computational chemistry kind of late in life. I am trying very hard this summer to understand Hartree-Fock Theory. I hope to be able to get help understanding some concepts, right now I am trying to work my way through the Szabo book.

Cheers!

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, you're in the right place. :smile:

Welcome on. There are a lot of active mentors here of varying disciplines. Great community here.