What is intrinsic time-dependence in the Schrödinger picture?

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intrinsic time dependence in the context of Schrödinger and Heisenberg pictures. It is explained that in the Schrödinger picture, operators can have explicit time dependence due to external fields or rotating coordinate systems, while in the Heisenberg picture, operators also have implicit time dependence due to the time evolution governed by the Hamiltonian. It is also noted that in the Schrödinger picture, the states are dynamical while the operators are non-dynamical, while in the Heisenberg picture it is the other way around.
carllacan
There are many things in this sentence that I don't get
Ballentine 91 said:
"The [Shcrödinger picture] operator could have intrinsic time dependence if it represented the potential of a variable external field, or if it were the component of a tensor defined with respect to a rotating coordinate system."

What does exactly mean intrinsic dependenc? I think I know the answer, but I'd like a formal definition, if possible.

Now, the sentence come up in the context of Schrödinger / Heisenberg picture. How is it possible for an Shcrödinger-picture operator to be time-dependent, be it explicitly or implicitly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example. Say an atom has the Hamiltonian H = H0. It's a function of whatever internal atomic variables you want to use, H(p, q) say.

Put the atom in a uniform external electric field and the Hamiltonian becomes H = H0 + Ez. Npw suppose the electric field is time varying, E = E0 cos ωt. Then the Hamiltonian H = H0 + E0z cos ωt is explicitly time-dependent.
It's now H(p, q, t).

Likes 1 person
And how does that differ from the time-dependence of a Heisenberg operator?

The time-dependence of a Heisenberg operator has 2 parts in it. 1 part is the explicit time dependence, as Bill_K noted, and the other part comes from the time evolution due to the Hamiltonian. The Heisenberg picture is one in which the state vectors are not time dependent, they stay still, so all the time evolution, explicit and implicit, has to be encoded into the operators.

If in Bill_K's post, you had H(p,q)=H0 and no explicit time dependence, there are still operators which ARE time dependent if they don't commute with H.

Likes 1 person
carllacan said:
And how does that differ from the time-dependence of a Heisenberg operator?

In the Schrodinger picture, ##\frac{d}{dt}A_S = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}A_S## which is what we mean when we say a Schrodinger operator is at most explicitly time dependent. The ##\frac{d}{dt}## is a total derivative and is to be contrasted with the partial derivative ##\partial_t##.

To touch base with something you're probably already familiar with, consider the velocity field ##\vec{v}(t,\vec{x})## of some classical fluid. Then ##\frac{d}{dt}\vec{v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec{v} + (\frac{d \vec{x}}{dt}\cdot\vec{\nabla}) \vec{v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec{v} + (\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}##; what ##\frac{d}{dt}\vec{v}## does is follow the dynamical time evolution of ##\vec{v}## along the flow lines of ##\vec{v}## which means it considers not only the explicit time dependence of ##\vec{v}## but also the dynamics of ##\vec{v}## governed by the evolution of ##\vec{x}## under forces (Newton's 2nd law), whereas ##\partial_t## simply considers the explicit time dependence of ##\vec{v}##. The operator ##\frac{d}{dt}## is also called the convective derivative in fluid mechanics.

In that same spirit, for a Heisenberg operator we have ##\frac{d}{dt}A_H = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}A_H + \frac{i}{\hbar}[H,A_H]## so ##\frac{d}{dt}A_H## tracks the dynamical evolution of ##A_H## whereas ##\partial_t## just evaluates the explicit time dependence of ##A_H##. On the other hand a Schrodinger operator is non-dynamical so ##\frac{d}{dt}## only evaluates the explicit time dependence of the operator. Therefore when we say that the states ##|\psi \rangle## contain all the time-dependence in the Schrodinger picture what we really mean is, in the Schrodinger picture it is the states that are dynamical i.e. the operators are non-dynamical; in other words the states evolve dynamically under the Schrodinger equation ##i \hbar \frac{d}{dt}|\psi \rangle = H |\psi \rangle## whereas there are no equations of motion for the Schrodinger operators ##A_S## as the only quantity of relevance for them is ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}A_S##. In the Heisenberg picture it is the other way around.

Likes 1 person
OK, I think I get the idea.

Thank you very much, all of you.

Related to What is intrinsic time-dependence in the Schrödinger picture?

1. What is intrinsic time-dependence?

Intrinsic time-dependence refers to the concept that the passage of time is an inherent property of a system or process, rather than being imposed or measured externally.

2. How is intrinsic time-dependence different from external time-dependence?

External time-dependence is based on a standard unit of time, such as seconds or years, and is used to measure the duration of events. Intrinsic time-dependence, on the other hand, is internal to a system and is not reliant on any external measurement.

3. Can you give an example of intrinsic time-dependence?

A classic example of intrinsic time-dependence is the decay of a radioactive substance. The rate of decay is determined by the properties of the substance itself, rather than any external factors. This process is not affected by changes in external time, such as the time of day or season.

4. How does intrinsic time-dependence relate to the concept of time dilation?

Intrinsic time-dependence is a fundamental aspect of time dilation, which is the phenomenon where time passes at different rates for observers in different reference frames. This can occur due to differences in speed or gravitational potential, but the intrinsic time-dependence of a system remains constant regardless of external factors.

5. Why is understanding intrinsic time-dependence important in scientific research?

Intrinsic time-dependence is a crucial concept in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It helps us better understand the behavior of natural systems and can lead to new insights and discoveries. By considering the intrinsic time-dependence of a system, scientists can make more accurate predictions and develop more comprehensive theories.