What is [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex]?

• Thread starter operationsres
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, Z is a random variable that has the same expected value as X over all events in the specified sigma-field, and its range can be arbitrary as long as it satisfies the given conditions.
operationsres
A random variable Z is called the conditional expectation of X given the sigma-field [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex] (we write [itex]Z = E[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex]) when (i) [itex]\sigma(Z) \subset \mathscr{F}[/itex] and (ii) [itex]E[X*I_A] = E[Z*I_A] \forall A \in \mathscr{F}[/itex].Can someone please explain what [itex]Z[/itex] is? (Yes I've googled and looked at 2 textbooks - things I find are a little too advanced for me).

My lecturer drew a diagram and stated that the integral over all [itex]\omega \in A[/itex] (where [itex]\Omega[/itex] was the x-axis and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] was the y-axis) simply had to be equal for Z and X (i.e. area under both random variables over the event had to be equal) for (ii) to be satisfied. This makes sense given what (ii) is, but I don't see how an expectation [itex]E[.|\mathscr{F}][/itex] can give rise to a function [itex]Z(\omega)[/itex] that has a non-constant range over [itex]\omega \in A[/itex] (i.e. [itex]Z(\omega_1) \textrm{ not necessarily equal to } Z[\omega_2][/itex])?

Is Z simply ANY arbitrary random variable satisfying (i) and (ii) (i.e. can the image of [itex]Z: \Omega \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be arbitrary as long as (i) and (ii) hold?)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A conditional expectation is a random variable that has the same expected value as the original random variable over all events in the specified sigma-field. In this case, Z is any random variable that satisfies both (i) and (ii). In other words, the image of Z (its range) can be arbitrary as long as it satisfies (i) and (ii). This means that Z does not necessarily have to have a constant range over all \omega \in A, as long as its expected value over all events in \mathscr{F} is the same as that of X.

Related to What is [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex]?

What is [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex]?

[itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] is a conditional expectation, which is the expected value of a random variable X given a certain sigma-algebra [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex]. It represents the average value of X when we have information about the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex].

Why is [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] important in statistics?

[itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] is important in statistics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a random variable X when we have additional information about the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex]. This is particularly useful in Bayesian statistics, where we can update our beliefs about X based on new information.

How is [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] calculated?

The calculation of [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] depends on the probability distribution of X and the specific events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex]. In general, it involves taking a weighted average of the possible outcomes of X, where the weights are determined by the probabilities of the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex]. There are also specific formulas for calculating conditional expectations for different types of random variables.

What is the difference between [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{E}[X][/itex]?

[itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] is a conditional expectation, while [itex]\mathbb{E}[X][/itex] is an unconditional expectation. This means that [itex]Z[/itex] takes into account additional information about the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex], while [itex]\mathbb{E}[X][/itex] represents the average value of X without any additional information.

Can [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] be negative?

Yes, [itex]Z = \mathbb{E}[X|\mathscr{F}][/itex] can be negative if the probability distribution of X and the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex] result in a negative weighted average. This is possible if the events in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex] have a lower probability of occurring than the events not in [itex]\mathscr{F}[/itex].