What is J.J. Thomson's Experiment on Charge to Mass Ratio of an Electron?

• Thread starter BlueTreesGreenSkies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Mass
In summary, the experiment conducted by J.J. Thomson involves accelerating an electron through an electric potential to calculate its velocity. This velocity is then used to determine the force of the magnetic field and the deflection of the electron, which can be used to calculate the charge to mass ratio of the electron. This can be compared to throwing a ball in a gravitational field.
BlueTreesGreenSkies
Well, I'm a little unsure about where to post this thread... but. my problem is that I've been told to figure out J.J. Thomson's experiment on the charge to mass ratio of an electron. I've been specifically told i should find a simple explanation so that i can later try to describe and explain the experiment to the class. All I've found is websites for a level of understanding that i definitely haven't reached. I was wondering if anybody knew some good, simple explanations for this experiment, or could explain it themselves.

Relevant informations may be found http://www2.kutl.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/MicroWorld1_E/Part1_E/P17_E/e_by_m_E.htm"

from what i understand, based on the force of the magnetic field, the kinetic energy provided to the cathode and the bend in the ray, one can determine mass of the electrons. What i don't understand is how this works if we don't really know the number of electrons and what the different equations do, exactly...

thanks!
BTGS

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. What happens is, that we accelerate the electron through an electric potential to reach a certain kinetic energy.

Because of this, it attains a certain velocity that we can calculate. Let's assume that the velocity that the electron gains is 'v'.

The force applied by the magnetic field depends on this value of 'v' which can be split up into the horizontal and vertical directions (speed in the horizontal and speed in the vertical direction).

Another property of the magnetic force is that it is always perpendicular (or at right angles) to the direction of velocity. Therefore, it only deflects the electron in the vertical direction (either up or down depending on the direction of the magnetic field).

When the electron finally leaves this setup, it hits the screen and we can calculate the deflection it underwent while in the magnetic field.

Depending on the magnitude of the deflection, we can calculate the charge to mass ratio of the electron.

A simple analogy is when you throw a ball in the horizontal direction, it falls some distance away. The ball experiences a gravitational force in the gravitational field of the earth. In a similar way, the electron experiences a deflection in the magnetic field.

Got it! thank you very much! :-)

Last edited:

1. What is the charge to mass ratio?

The charge to mass ratio is the ratio of the electrical charge of a particle to its mass. It is often denoted by the symbol q/m and is measured in units of coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How is the charge to mass ratio determined?

The charge to mass ratio can be determined through various experiments, such as the Thomson experiment and the Millikan oil drop experiment. These experiments involve measuring the charge and mass of a particle and calculating their ratio.

3. What is the significance of the charge to mass ratio?

The charge to mass ratio is significant because it helps to identify and classify particles, such as electrons, protons, and ions. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

4. Does the charge to mass ratio vary for different particles?

Yes, the charge to mass ratio can vary for different particles. For example, the charge to mass ratio for an electron is different from that of a proton. This is due to the difference in their electrical charges and masses.

5. How does the charge to mass ratio impact particle interactions?

The charge to mass ratio affects how particles interact with each other. Particles with a higher charge to mass ratio will experience stronger forces in an electromagnetic field compared to particles with a lower ratio. This can lead to different behaviors and trajectories of particles in various environments.