Determine the ratio of the charge to the mass

In summary, the problem involves a beam of electrons passing through perpendicular electric and magnetic fields, and then being deflected by the magnetic field in a circular path. The ratio of the electronic charge to the electron mass can be determined by equating the magnetic force to the centripetal force. However, the electric field must also be taken into account, and if the speed of the particle is properly chosen, it will not be deflected. This leads to the conclusion that the magnetic force is equal to the electric force, and using this information, the ratio of charge to mass can be calculated.
Vladi
forum post 3.jpg

Homework Statement

A beam of electrons passes undeflected through two mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields. If the electric field is cut off and the same magnetic field maintained, the electrons move in the magnetic field in a circular path of radius 1.14 cm. Determine the ratio of the electronic charge to the electron mass if E = 8.00 kV/ m and the magnetic field has flux density 2.00 mT.

Homework Equations

F=(q)(v)(b)*sin(theta)
F=(m(v)^2)/R
F=q*e

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic force must be equal to the centripetal force; thus...
q*v*b*sin(90)=((m)(v)^2)/r
-->q/m=v/(r*B)
If I have velocity, I'll be able to solve this problem. I'm not sure how the electric field ties into all of this; my gut tells me that I need to use it to solve for the velocity, but I have no clue how. Some additional work has been attached. Any tips are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Vladi said:
beam of electrons passes undeflected through two mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields
I don't see this being used in your calculations. Am I missing something ?

Likes Vladi
Vladi said:
View attachment 210117

Homework Statement

A beam of electrons passes undeflected through two mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields. If the electric field is cut off and the same magnetic field maintained, the electrons move in the magnetic field in a circular path of radius 1.14 cm. Determine the ratio of the electronic charge to the electron mass if E = 8.00 kV/ m and the magnetic field has flux density 2.00 mT.

Homework Equations

F=(q)(v)(b)*sin(theta)
F=(m(v)^2)/R
F=q*e

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic force must be equal to the centripetal force; thus...
q*v*b*sin(90)=((m)(v)^2)/r
-->q/m=v/(r*B)
If I have velocity, I'll be able to solve this problem. I'm not sure how the electric field ties into all of this; my gut tells me that I need to use it to solve for the velocity, but I have no clue how. Some additional work has been attached. Any tips are appreciated.
What about the force from the electric field? You have not used this. What equation can youwrite involving that?

Likes Vladi
haruspex said:
What about the force from the electric field? You have not used this. What equation can youwrite involving that?
If the speed of the particle is properly chosen, the particle will not be deflected by these crossed electric and magnetic fields. Does this imply that the magnetic force is equal to the force of the electric field? If so, this is what I come up with.
forum post 3 part 2.jpg

It looks like my answer is correct. This is what I learned: If the particle will not be deflected by these crossed electric and magnetic fields, this implies that the magnetic force is equal to the force of the electric field. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Likes BvU

1. What is the significance of determining the ratio of charge to mass?

The ratio of charge to mass, also known as the specific charge, is an important physical property that can provide insight into the nature of particles. It can also be used to identify unknown particles and determine their behavior in electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the ratio of charge to mass measured?

The ratio of charge to mass can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the Millikan oil drop experiment or the Thomson tube experiment. These experiments involve observing the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields and using mathematical equations to calculate the specific charge.

3. What is the formula for calculating the ratio of charge to mass?

The formula for calculating the ratio of charge to mass is q/m, where q is the charge of the particle and m is its mass. This value is typically expressed in units of coulombs per kilogram (C/kg) or coulombs per gram (C/g).

4. How can the ratio of charge to mass be used in particle physics?

The ratio of charge to mass is an important parameter in particle physics, as it can help identify and classify particles. For example, particles with the same specific charge may have similar properties and behave in similar ways in electric and magnetic fields.

5. Is the ratio of charge to mass constant for all particles?

No, the ratio of charge to mass can vary depending on the type of particle. For example, electrons have a different specific charge than protons, and different isotopes of the same element may also have different specific charges. However, for a given type of particle, the ratio of charge to mass is typically a constant value.