What is parametric representation and how is it used

In summary: Parametric representation is a way of representing a curve or straight line using a parameter, which is a variable that is not explicitly stated. RS: In summary, parametric representation is a way of representing a curve or straight line using a parameter. It is a way of getting around not explicitly stating the equation for the curve or straight line. It is helpful for situations where you need to refer to a curve or straight line multiple times, but do not want to write out the equation each time.
ArmChairPhysicist
Ive been working through calculus this year and will be into next year, and as nearly every time I open my calculus book I have found something new and mysterious. This time it's something called parametric representation.

It isn't clearly explained what this means or how you go about converting between implicit/explicit and parametric forms.

An example of what my book is giving me.
X^2 +Y^2 = 9 is the equation of a circle with center at the origin and radius equal to 3.
If [theta] is the angle that the radius to the point (x,y) on the circle makes with the x axis, find the parametric representation of the circle in terms of [theta].
What rules govern this subject?
Why do I need it?
How and when do I use parametric representation?
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ArmChairPhysicist said:
Ive been working through calculus this year and will be into next year, and as nearly every time I open my calculus book I have found something new and mysterious. This time it's something called parametric representation.

It isn't clearly explained what this means or how you go about converting between implicit/explicit and parametric forms.

X^2 +Y^2 = 9 is the equation of a circle with center at the origin and radius equal to 3.
If [theta] is the angle that the radius to the point (x,y) on the circle makes with the x axis, find the parametric representation of the circle in terms of [theta].
Why do I need it?
Many thanks in advance.
A parametrization of a curve ##C## (or a straight) by a parameter ##t## (loosely associated with "time") is a "walkthrough", a "path". You have to find a (continuous) function ##p : I \longmapsto C## where ##I \subseteq \mathbb{R}## is an interval, it's often ##I = [0,1]\, , \,t=0## the staring point and ##t=1## the end point of the path ##p(t)##. This means, that to every point of the curve ##C## there is a point in time (or a few), where the path is at this point.

In the case of your example, ##C## is the circle and it isn't "time" here, but the angle ##t=\theta## that measures your path. For the interval you can take ##I=[0,2\pi ]## or ##I=\mathbb{R}## depending on how often you want to circle.

Why do you need it? Well, e.g. it's the general concept that defines a motion along a curve. You use it each time you drive your car. A path can divide regions into interior and exterior parts, can be used to speak of the length of a curve, and many more. Some are of mathematical interest like "path connected points", but many more of physical, as it is motion and basically defines what can be reached and what can not.

ArmChairPhysicist said:

Why do I need it?
Many thanks in advance.

If you do not understand something in your book, look in another book---or nowadays, go on-line and use Google. For example, if I Google the key words "parametric equation" I get immediate (free) access to hundreds of articles giving lots of examples. Your exact example is explained in detail in many of the articles.

ArmChairPhysicist said:

That sounds like Calculus III. If possible, I'd go one step further and look up "polar coordinates".

Eclair_de_XII said:
That sounds like Calculus III. If possible, I'd go one step further and look up "polar coordinates".
ArmChairPhysicist said:

It means that you write the x and y coordinates in terms of r and theta. See figure.
upload_2017-5-16_14-28-3.png

What is parametric representation?

Parametric representation is a mathematical method of describing a curve or surface using one or more parameters. These parameters are typically variables that represent points on the curve or surface, and by varying their values, we can generate different points on the curve/surface.

How is parametric representation different from Cartesian representation?

Cartesian representation uses equations in terms of x and y coordinates to describe a curve or surface, while parametric representation uses equations in terms of parameters. This allows for more flexibility in representing complex curves and surfaces.

What are some applications of parametric representation?

Parametric representation is commonly used in computer graphics, animation, and engineering design. It is also used in physics and mathematics to represent curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

How is parametric representation used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, parametric representation is used to create smooth and complex curves and surfaces. By varying the parameters, we can create different shapes and animations, such as in video games and animated movies.

What are the advantages of using parametric representation?

Parametric representation allows for easier manipulation and control of curves and surfaces compared to Cartesian representation. It also allows for the representation of more complex shapes and animations, and is often more efficient in terms of storage and computation.