What is Photon Phase? Explaining Confusions

In summary, the concept of "phase" can be confusing when discussing photons and their behavior. In some contexts, it refers to the polarization of a photon, while in others it refers to the relative phase of a photon after bouncing off a mirror or passing through an interferometer. However, the exact nature of a photon is more complicated than can be described by traditional quantum mechanics notation. Some theories suggest that a photon may not even have a wavefunction. The two-slit experiment with electrons also shows similar results, but in this case, the interference is due to the de Broglie wave of the electron. The concept of "phase" may not be as applicable in this scenario.
Talisman
It occurs to me that I've probably been confusing "phase" in a number of contexts. In particular:

1) If we write a photon's polarization as [itex]\psi = |x\rangle + e^{i\theta}|y\rangle[/itex], then we can call [itex]\theta[/itex] a "phase."

2) When a photon bounces off a mirror, it picks up a relative phase of [itex]i[/itex]. If I understand correctly, this is the same "phase" as above. It is also the "phase" referred to in the two-slit experiment.

3) Inside a Mach-Zehnder interferometer, after a beam splitter, we represent the state as something like [itex]\psi = |0\rangle + i|1\rangle[/itex]. If I understand, the phase shift happens because of (2). But it's not clear to me in what sense "which-path" information has a phase.

And I should add:

4) We can perform the two-slit experiment with electrons and get a similar result. How can we explain it with "phase" (like we did in 2) if there's no polarization basis in which "phase" is meaningful?

Can anyone help me clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes BvU
Thanks bhobba. I think most of that stuff is over my head though :(

From more reading, it seems that the photon version is a result of EM phase and the electron result is due to de Broglie wave interference.

Still hoping someone can enlighten me in very simple terms.

1. What is a photon phase?

A photon phase refers to the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields of a photon at a specific point in time. It is a measure of the position and direction of the photon's oscillation.

2. How is photon phase related to wavelength and frequency?

Photon phase is directly related to the wavelength and frequency of a photon. As the wavelength increases, the phase of the photon also increases. Higher frequency photons have shorter wavelengths and therefore a smaller phase.

3. What is the difference between photon phase and photon polarization?

Photon phase and polarization are closely related but different concepts. Photon phase refers to the position and direction of the photon's oscillation, while polarization refers to the orientation of the photon's electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can photon phase be observed or measured?

Yes, photon phase can be observed and measured through various techniques such as interferometry or spectroscopy. However, it is important to note that it is a quantum mechanical property and cannot be directly observed with the human eye.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding photon phase?

Understanding photon phase is crucial in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and quantum computing. It helps in the development of advanced technologies such as lasers, optical fibers, and high-speed communication systems.