What is program is better mathematica or matlab?

In summary: It is also better at creating figures like contour plots or 3D figures. If you are doing a lot of numerical work, MATLAB is probably the way to go. However, if you are doing symbolic work or just want something that is easier to use, go with Mathematica.
Futurestar33
If you are a professor is it better to use Mathematica or Matlab when it comes to publishing papers, which program creates the best graphs. I have origin as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you are doing as far as I can tell from rather limited experience.
I used mathematica for symbolic calculations and a little bit of numerical work on differential equations.
Matlab I used for setting up simulation codes. And it was great at that (mathematica not so much in my opinion).

About graphing, doesn't really matter. I did however use R once to create some 'exotic' graphs.
If you want simple scatter-plots with a fit I suppose both are comparable.

The most time-efficient tool for a professor to create graphs for publications is a system called "phd student" :biggrin:

Likes Amrator and FactChecker
Futurestar33 said:
If you are a professor is it better to use Mathematica or Matlab when it comes to publishing papers, which program creates the best graphs. I have origin as well.

There is a number of very puzzling issues with this post.

1. What does being a "professor" have any relevance to this?

2. What is the definition of "better"? What is better for "A" may not be better for "B". A very wise and well-known tech expert, when once asked for the best word processor software in the world, replied "It is the one you use most often".

3. There is no such thing as "the best graphs". You can create an identical graph using many different packages. What is more important is YOUR creativity and sensible understanding of what a graph needs to convey clearly! This requires experience and thoughtfulness, not a better graphic package. You can buy the most expensive and "best" violin in the world, and you will still be unable to create a wonderful tune if you are a crappy musician.

4. This is not an Academic Guidance question, but rather, a tech question.

Zz.

Likes JorisL
JorisL has the best answer. When doing symbolic work, Mathematica is much easier to use. It is also very easy to use in creating figures like lattices or symbolic band structures (graphene for example). However, MATLAB is much better for doing numerical work, like solving Einstein's equations for a given system for example.

What is the difference between Mathematica and Matlab?

Mathematica and Matlab are both programming software commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. However, they have some key differences that set them apart. Mathematica is primarily used for symbolic computation and visualization, while Matlab is more focused on numerical computation and data analysis. Additionally, Mathematica has a built-in natural language processing system, while Matlab does not.

Which program has better performance?

The performance of Mathematica and Matlab may vary depending on the specific task and computer system being used. In general, Matlab is known for its faster numerical computations, while Mathematica excels in symbolic computation and can handle larger datasets. Ultimately, the performance may also depend on the proficiency of the user in each program.

Can I use both Mathematica and Matlab together?

Yes, it is possible to use both programs together for different purposes. In fact, many scientists and engineers use both Mathematica and Matlab in their work. They can be integrated through file exchange or using specialized toolboxes.

Which program is more user-friendly?

This is a subjective question as it may depend on the individual's experience and familiarity with each program. However, in general, Mathematica has a more user-friendly interface with its natural language processing system and built-in documentation. Matlab may require more coding and knowledge of specific functions to use effectively.

Which program is better for teaching and learning purposes?

Both Mathematica and Matlab are widely used in academic settings for teaching and learning purposes. However, Mathematica may be better suited for beginners due to its user-friendly interface and natural language processing system, while Matlab may be more suitable for advanced users and specific applications. Ultimately, the choice may depend on the specific needs and preferences of the instructor and students.